300 amp service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinniem

Have to give my first 300 amp service estimate.

Never did one before.

Thinking of bringing a single set of conducters to the meter pan.

I have to check with the POCO but I believe they make a meter pan with dual lugs were I can connect 2 feeds to 2 -150 amp panels.

Is this the standard way or could I do it better?

Also Is it the worth stepping it up to a 400 amp since 300 amp really isn't a common service?

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Thanks

lpelectric

Have you calculated the load(s) yet, or are you just guessing that 2 150's will do. 400 amps is a lot of amps for the average dwelling, assuming that's what you're doing....Are you thinking about 300 cu service to the top side of the meter, or 500 alu? and then are you planning to double-lug from the load side of the meter to two panelboards of 150 each?

JohnConnolly

I have installed a few Siemans "all in one" 400 amp resi services. The cost was not much more than the 300 amp so I figure you can't have too much power available...right?

It has the meter, a main breakered 40 space buss and a 200 amp main for an addional panel all in one unit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
150 amp services are unheard of in our area and the main breaker panels would probably cost twice as much as the 200 amp panels. 400 is the standard when we need to upgrade from a 200 regardless of the load. 220 amp load gets a 400 amp service around here.

Yes they make a 320 amp meter base that is suitable for 400 amp service as long as the load is not over 320 amps continuous. It has double lugs.

active1

I don't see 300 amp services around here.
It's a 100, 200 or 320 (we call that one a 400) for resi.
The POCO and town may limit your choices.

quogueelectric

go direct burrial 350 al monmouth to meter then parallel 150 rope from load side sleved in pvc to 2 separate 150 panels. Ground to water main with #2 SOL cu then bug 2nd panel to ground above 1st panel. This gives you lots of ckts.

480sparky

active1 said:
I don't see 300 amp services around here.
It's a 100, 200 or 320 (we call that one a 400) for resi.
The POCO and town may limit your choices.

I've done a lot of duplexes with 300a services. 150a to each unit. But SFDs rarely have them.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

300 amp services are rare in this area. about the only time I see them is if the electrician pulls off a HVAC load and installs a 80-100 main in addition to a 200. More common is a "400" via (2) 200 amp panels fed seperate from a 320 meter pan.

quogueelectric

320 to 400

320 to 400

In my area the largest resi service with conventional meter is 320 aka twin/150s at 400 we have to go to trans s cabinet for HUGE price difference. 320 underground is very common here on 3000-4000 sq foot victorian Mcmansions

Status
Not open for further replies.