Nfpa 70e

Status
Not open for further replies.
What edition of the NFPA 70E is in affect as of right now. Reason being I have
MCC work to do and the 2009 edition states you need to wear a 40 cal suit. I have had people tell me that is not in affect yet.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
MCC work to do and the 2009 edition states you need to wear a 40 cal suit. I have had people tell me that is not in affect yet.
NFPA standards are technically in effect as soon as they are published. This means that NFPA70E-2009 officially went into affect on Sept 5 2008 (see page 70E-1).

OSHA enforces 'industry standards' so there is no reason they could not enforce any standards as soon as it goes into effect.

The NEC (NFPA 70) is normally adopted as a law by governing bodies, so there is usually a time difference between its published effective date and it 'locally' legally effective date.

zog

Agree with Jim on the effectve date, but what are you doing to this MCC? Tecnically the 70E does not say you need a 40 cal suit, it says "NFPA 70E Article 130.1 Justification for work. Live parts to which an employee might be exposed shall be put into an electrically safe work condition before an employee works on or near them, unless the employer can demonstrate that deenergizing introduces additional or increased hazards or is infeasible due to equipment design or operational limitations. "

MCC work.

MCC work.

I read the NFPA 70e to state if your are "insertion or removal of individual starter "buckets" from MCC - risk cat 4. I just wanted to be sure I was reading that right before I made a issue at my next safety meeting.

Thats

zog

I read the NFPA 70e to state if your are "insertion or removal of individual starter "buckets" from MCC - risk cat 4. I just wanted to be sure I was reading that right before I made a issue at my next safety meeting.

Thats

Correct, but you need to be sure you can use the tables by reading the notes. You may want to consider remote bucket extractors if you do this often.

Status
Not open for further replies.