1-PH or 3-PH for elevator??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The largest single phase motor I have seen is 7.5 hp. A three phase motor is simpler and has less parts. But you can use a three phase motor with single phase input with a derated VFD.

stickboy1375

tom baker said:
The largest single phase motor I have seen is 7.5 hp. A three phase motor is simpler and has less parts. But you can use a three phase motor with single phase input with a derated VFD.

Whats VFD mean? Violent Flaming Death?

the largest 1 ? motor i did see is 15 hp [ in convental cap start , cap run ]

but if you mention written pole motor that go much larger and this is diffrent beast to deal with it but instering http://www.precisepwr.com/single_phase_motors.asp?bhcp=1

this link will show some details about written pole motors and btw yes i did work one of them allready pretty instering beast to run

{ that motor if you have some question please do ask me i will try my best to give you all the answer you need to in this thread or can run new thread related to this topic so i dont want to hijack it }

Merci, Marc

splinetto

stickboy1375 said:
What do you think?
I knew it could be done but didnt know what was needed to make it work...The elv guy says they always send them out 3 phase motors...but maybe they have to send them right back..

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I did a 22 million dollar house in DC which had a 800 amp 3 phase service. The elevator that went in had commercial guts and a residential car. We ran a 30 a 3 phase circuit and the elevator guy used a 30 amp single pole breaker. ?????? We load tested the elevator under load an it only pulled 10 amps!!!!! We put it on a 20 amp breaker and it has been fine ever since.

stickboy1375

splinetto said:
I knew it could be done but didnt know what was needed to make it work...The elv guy says they always send them out 3 phase motors...but maybe they have to send them right back..

I hope you didn't take my comment as being harsh...

boater bill

I was told by an old-timer that all of the traditional style elevators used 3-phase so they would never run backwards.

I am seeing more specs from manufacturers with single phase as an option. When given the choice, I always spec the 3-phase.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
eric stromberg said:
True, but they could also start using three phase transformers that are mounted in a single case. Three primary bushings. I have a dream...
Haven't seen single can 3 phase transformers around here in a long time. POCO uses three single phase in a bank. Saves on inventory, I guess.

stickboy1375

Krim said:
Now that's an acronym I was sure any electrician would know , this makes me feel better about not knowing,in another post,what a CSST was .
Thanks stickboy .

Carl :rolleyes:

Not a problem, did I ever tell you what a weird sense of humor I have?

Krim

stickboy1375 said:
Not a problem, did I ever tell you what a weird sense of humor I have?

I take that statement to mean that you truly did know what a VFD was before posting your question than .... Boy didn't I make a donkey out of myself ? !
My wife has always said that I'm slow to catch a joke .

K2500

nakulak said:

Maybe he is refering to the fact that single phase motors have no inherent locked rotor torque.? With out a starting mechanizm it will spin in which ever direction it is started.

jerm

marc said:
Achtung!

Alles touristen und non-technishen looken peepers! Das machine is nicht fur der fingerpoken und mittengrabben. Is easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und popencorken mit spitzen sparken und flitzenflamen. Das machine is diggen by experten only. Is nicht fur gerwerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen das cottenpiken hands in das pockets. Relaxen und watchen das blinkenlights.

I have this posted in various locations around the city where I've done complex motor control (hvac control and the like) - I have copies of it printed up and I just leave them posted here and there to see how long they survive "in the wild". It's a trip to come back to do maintenience a few years later and see them still posted in all their glory. I really got a kick out of seeing it here. Thanks Marc!

Status
Not open for further replies.