Kitchen receptacle placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

I was on a call today and noticed the owners were having their kitchen renovated. I also noticed there were no receptacles on the wall as it was all tile from the countertops to underneath the cabinets.

The contractor remodeling the kitchen put the receptacles under the cabinets. Is the allowable by code? They were in cut in boxes. This was the first time I have ever seen this done in a kitchen.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I guess he is ok then because they were around 16" off the counter.
Upper cabinets are usually 18" off the base cabinets. Many modern homes like to hide the recep. under the uppers. Personally I would hate the cords sticking down and would find it annoying to have to bend and twist to plug things in.

GG

Upper cabinets are usually 18" off the base cabinets. Many modern homes like to hide the recep. under the uppers. Personally I would hate the cords sticking down and would find it annoying to have to bend and twist to plug things in.
I agree. I didnt care for it either.

kwired

Electron manager

But you can't have them receptacles messing up the tile;)

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I was on a call today and noticed the owners were having their kitchen renovated. I also noticed there were no receptacles on the wall as it was all tile from the countertops to underneath the cabinets.

The contractor remodeling the kitchen put the receptacles under the cabinets. Is the allowable by code? They were in cut in boxes. This was the first time I have ever seen this done in a kitchen.

ARTICLE 210.52(C)(5) Page 70-54 2008 NEC Not more than 20" Above the counter top.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Last week, we installed two sections of Plugmold under the uppers. The backsplash was glass subyay tiles. The customer is more than happy to twist and bend to keep the tiles whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.