High Tension Power Line - Max Pull Angle

Status
Not open for further replies.

schneider

My question has to pertain to the construction of a 345 kv overhead transmission line.

I am working on designing the the Wire Pull/tension site areas to pull the 345 kv transmission line. My splicing sites are are a max of two miles apart.

I was wondering max angle the transmission line can change over a two mile strech at one tower location before needing to place a wire pulling/tension area?

Does this angle increase or reduce due to steep terrian as well?

Thanks - I figure some line men should know

mivey

I was wondering max angle the transmission line can change over a two mile strech at one tower location before needing to place a wire pulling/tension area?
You would need to calculate the sheave load at the critical points for your particular case. In a straight level pull, the conditions at the ends will be the worst case points. For angles and inclines, they could become critical, more-so if at the end of the pull (due to traveler efficiency). If you pull through a dead-end greater than 30? you would use two travelers and maybe four if the angle is over 50?.

Using a larger diameter sheave also helps as you reduce the amount the cable has to bend and thus increase the traveler efficiency. You might normally assume a 5% tension increase at a traveler but with a diameter over 20x the conductor diameter it might be as low as 2%.

A critical calculation would be the bearing pressure at the sheaves because excessive force will either damage the conductor or the sheave lining or maybe even over-load the traveler as a whole.

See the IEEE Std 524 Appendix for calculation info.

Does this angle increase or reduce due to steep terrian as well?
Steep terrain also increases the stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.