Beware of Bell PVC Couplings

Status
Not open for further replies.

M. D.

:-? Not to be a stick in the mud ,.. but aren't you gonna violate the NEC should you ever get the rat through the trap and actually pull wires through this maze??

mdshunk

brantmacga said:
when you say "truck", you mean 18-wheeler right? if not, how do you fit all of these gadgets into one vehicle??? :D
It fits in the palm of your hand. Surely you have a place for something that small?

Curious...

Curious...

I've seen several posts that mention a 100' max for fish tape and jet string for over. Nobody mentions another step after sucking the string. Are you using the string to pull the wire? I use string to pull through a rope and use the rope to pull the wire on longer runs. I've seen string cut through elbows before.

For anything the fish tape will reach I bend the head to fit the pipe and pull the wire without problem. Of course, my 240' tape is probably about 200' now after five years of new heads...

mdshunk

bugzapper said:
I've seen several posts that mention a 100' max for fish tape and jet string for over. Nobody mentions another step after sucking the string. Are you using the string to pull the wire?
Depends. Sometimes I do. I don't really use "string" myself. I use the poly white/blue stripe stuff, which is darned nice for lighter pulls. Naturally, you'd pull in a rope with the string for the heavier stuff. I've seen ropes saw through ells before too. This is one reason some people use RMC ells in their tougher underground runs of PVC. It helps on tough runs to pull a lube spreader through first.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Back in the old days it was common to use cable tuggers that had steel rope. Long pulls would cut right through an aluminum elbow if it was near the end that had the tugger.

mdshunk

infinity said:
Back in the old days it was common to use cable tuggers that had steel rope. Long pulls would cut right through an aluminum elbow if it was near the end that had the tugger.
I think the hand crank tuggers still use steel wire rope.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
mdshunk said:
I think the hand crank tuggers still use steel wire rope.

You might be right. I remember back in the day, using the old Greenlee "fishing pole" which was a hand cranked tugger.

monkey

TOOL_5150 said:
I use the Ridgid reamer below for PVC. It works allright. I call it the monkey barrel.
34965.jpg

~Matt

hey..... watch the monkey comments will ya?? :D

hillbilly

I didn't know that there was such a tool as a "RIGID REAMER".
It looks like something else to get lost in my tool box.

I ream PVC conduit with my trusty "Old Timer" pocket knife.

I always know where it is (right front pocket), and I can have it out, ream the pipe and back into my pocket in under 5 seconds.....really, I've timed myself:roll:

Kinda like practicing a quick draw:grin:

steve

peter

Monkey,
I actually have one of these Rigid PVC reamers and today I had to do 13 stub ups and the most amazing thing is that I actually found it.
The inside reamer works better than the out side reamer. But the outside doesn't really matter.
Using a PVC ratchet cutter, cut the large [consistant diameter] portion of the bell coupling off. Then cut off the "ess" shaped part of the bell. Since you are gluing anyway, it is not much trouble to use the coupling part as a coupling so it doesn't cost anymore -- except for a loss of maybe 1 1/2" of pipe. Just make sure to center this improvised "coupling".
~Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.