Supplemental Electrode for Sep. Derived Sys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevee

When installing a Sep Derived Sys Section 250.30(A)(7) requires that the grounding electrode shall be the nearest of:
1. Metal Water Pipe
2. Structural Metal
or any other electrode listed in 250.52(A) if 1. and 2. are not available

That's not the question. The question is when using the water pipe as an electrode, 250.30 states it shall meet the requirements of 250.52(A)(1).

But what about a supplementary electrode? No where in 250.30 does it say anything about the supplementary electrode as required for water pipes according to 250.53(D)(2).

Does 250.53(D)(2) apply to Sep Derived Sys? Or is it assumed that the water pipe has already been either bonded to the service electrode system or that it is the service electrode and so already has a supplementary electrode installed?

I guess the simple question is do I need a supplementary electrode when using water pipe as my electrode at a sep der system?

Stevee
That is really a good question...I have not thought about that requirement before. Now you have got me thinking about it.
I will say that I have not looked for it before.
Maybe since the SERVICE has the water supplemented as per 250.53(D)(2), thought was not put to having the separately derived system to have additional supplementing???

ron

The water pipe must be used for the regular service. It is required to be supplemented.
So by the time you get to the SDS grounding electrode system, the pipe already has a supplemental from the service requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.