Service Conductor vs. Tap Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMAO

I am a little confused over the difference between service and tap. We have a couple of small equipment shelters and I need to power them. Panel for each shelter is located inside, near the point of entrance (230.70(A)(1)). Does this mean I can treat the conductors as service drop and not tap? The reason I am asking is that I want to know if I have to protect the conductors because transformer is more that 25' away from the shelters.
Any advice will be appreciated.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
It is considered a utility transformer.

Then, I would consider the "service point" to be the transformer secondary. The conductors from the service point to the service disconnecting means are "service conductors." I'd say Art. 230 applies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... The reason I am asking is that I want to know if I have to protect the conductors because transformer is more that 25' away from the shelters. ...
There is no limitation in the length of service taps (nor is there for outside secondary taps).

LMAO

There is no limitation in the length of service taps (nor is there for outside secondary taps).

I know that but I need over current protection for a tap longer than 25' unless it satisfies 240.21(B)(4). not so for a service drop.

raider1

Staff member
I know that but I need over current protection for a tap longer than 25' unless it satisfies 240.21(B)(4). not so for a service drop.

240.21(B) does not apply to service conductors, that section only applys to feeder taps.

Chris

Smart $

Esteemed Member

240.21(B)(4)???

By your description, I'm of the impression you are either dealing with a service conductor and taps thereto, or secondary taps of a service transformer which make the conductors service drops, laterals or entrance conductors, even the tapping conductors. There are no length limitations for any of these.

Even if we got into feeder conductors and taps thereto, or premises secondary taps, there is still no length limitation when they are outside. Refer to 240.21(B)(5) and 240.21(C)(4).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.