Wireway or Pull Box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbrashear

I have a group of feeders coming into a building. The designer intends to bring these conductors into a wireway then drop them down into their respective panels.
He chose to us a "wireway" verses a typical trough because of the size. If It were a true pull-box the size of the box would triple per calculation. I contend that if the wireway is being used as a pull-box (which i think that it is) then the wireway should be sized as a pull-box.
Any thoughts?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would say the nec agrees with you.

376.23 Insulated Conductors.
Insulated conductors installed in a metallic wireway shall comply with 376.23(A) and (B).

(B) Metallic Wireways Used as Pull Boxes. Where insulated conductors 4 AWG or larger are pulled through a wireway, the distance between raceway and cable entries enclosing the same conductor shall not be less than that required by 314.28(A)(1) for straight pulls and 314.28(A)(2) for angle pulls. When transposing cable size into raceway size, the minimum metric designator (trade size) raceway required for the number and size of conductors in the cable shall be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.