Recessed light, potential conflict of 413.29

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanckekr

I am looking at the installation instruction for a Juno IC1P housing for incandescent lamps. It is quite interesting as they are very proud of that housing being IC approved and thus allowed to be surrounded by insulation. The housing is designed for suspended ceilings.

At one side of the house, is a junction box, designed for 1/2", 3/4?, Romex etc. However, that junction box is not accessible through the actual opening in the light fixture. Effectively, post installation you will be unable to access the junction box.

Is installing this lamp fixture in a recessed ceiling using the build in junction box a violation of 413.29? If not, would the lamp manufacturer expect the electrician to establish some kind of entrance through the ceiling to this junction box?
electricalsupplies4less_1958_91406616

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe if you pull the inner can out you will see access to the jb inside the square section. You must first remove the round housing.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
nanckekr said:
This J-box is accessable through the little hole in the ceiling. A word of advice my friend, leave your joints long. (your going to have a porblem with the EGC because Juno leaves it short.)

nanckekr

Well, if I remove the inner can, I get inside the large metal box that surounds the can. Through that large box, there is a tiny hole, just large enough for the wire to go to the junction box on the side. You can however NOT access the junction box through the can.

The installation instruction do not mention that you would expect access to the house from above the ceiling.

Is using this house OK or against code?
Would you choose a different house?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would think that you need access to the JB. I cannot believe there is no access from inside the housing. I have never seen one that didn't have it however I don't use Juno. Use a different can or call the factory and see what's up with it. There must be a way to access the housing or else it would only be suitable in dropped ceilings or attics

Energize

Is installing this lamp fixture in a recessed ceiling using the build in junction box a violation of 413.29? If not, would the lamp manufacturer expect the electrician to establish some kind of entrance through the ceiling to this junction box?

My 2005 code book does not have a section 413.29, or an Article 413 for that matter.

Which code book are you using?

M. D.

I have never seen a recessed can that you could not access the J- box to after the finish ceiling was installed regardless type.

JohnConnolly

I do not see where it says only for suspended ceilings.

.......Here?....

I am looking at the installation instruction for a Juno IC1P housing for incandescent lamps. It is quite interesting as they are very proud of that housing being IC approved and thus allowed to be surrounded by insulation. The housing is designed for suspended ceilings.

mdshunk

I guess I've learned something today. I always took for granted that recessed light junction boxes are always accessible after the finish ceiling is installed. Now, I realize that there's at least one model that will require access from above, and I know not to use that one where it will be completely sealed in. This is something to keep your eye's peeled for as the energy codes gets stricter as the years tick by. I'm sure it's something electricians are going to find objectionable enough that the manufacturers will make changes to their product to assure access.

360Youth

mdshunk said:
I guess I've learned something today. I always took for granted that recessed light junction boxes are always accessible after the finish ceiling is installed.

No kidding. One can never assume not to look at specs.

M. D.

I have never seen a suspended ceiling with insulation installed on the tiles so I guess I have learned today as well??

Status
Not open for further replies.