Thread: A good way to explain Class I Div 1 & 2

A good way to explain Class I Div 1 & 2

During a recent discussion of Class I Division 1 requirements, I explained it this way:

Class I Division 1 means I can pour gasoline on the machine and it will keep running without igniting it.

Class I Division 2 means that I can pour gasoline on the machine and I can shut it down before it ignites, and when it is off it won't ignite the gasoline.

I know I omitted the group here but that complicates the explanation. Anyone who's ever tried to re-start a charcoal grill after re-lighter fluiding it or used gas to start burning leaves or scrap, knows from their unsuccessful (or maybe successful) attempt at winning a Darwin award, how easy it is to start the fire/explosion.

If anyone has better analogies, feel free. When you specify equipment for a classified location, the accountants become apoplectic and need a good answer where they walk away understanding, not thinking that maybe they're being techno-bs'd.

Matt

I'm not sure why you would need an analogy....

Class I Division I:
    Where ignitable concentrations of flammable gases, vapors or liquids can exist all of the time or some of the time under normal operating conditions.

Class I Division II :
    Where ignitable concentrations of flammable gases, vapors or liquids are not likely to exist under normal operating conditions.

Part of the problem with your analogy is that you probably wouldn’t shut down the process in a Division 2 location either.
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think the NEC says, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what it means." (Corollary to Charlie's Rule)