Labor Rates in Maine

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguy8169

Is there anywhere to find labor units in a certain area for electricians. I am not looking to be a full blown EC but have been asked many times if I would give a price on a job and till now have not due to no License. Anyhow, I know the rates I have charged before but not in this area and in that area the rates were very low overall, (actually worked as a flooring installer for at time cause it paid nearly twice as much). I know I will figure out what I need to charge over time and have a general idea, but not looking to be the guy that is the cheapest either if you know what I mean. Anyhow any input is appreciated or if you can point me to a site that may have some averages and I can take it from there.

Thanks

hotwire1955

Is there anywhere to find labor units in a certain area for electricians. I am not looking to be a full blown EC but have been asked many times if I would give a price on a job and till now have not due to no License. Anyhow, I know the rates I have charged before but not in this area and in that area the rates were very low overall, (actually worked as a flooring installer for at time cause it paid nearly twice as much). I know I will figure out what I need to charge over time and have a general idea, but not looking to be the guy that is the cheapest either if you know what I mean. Anyhow any input is appreciated or if you can point me to a site that may have some averages and I can take it from there.

Thanks

If you don't have a EC license don't do the work! and what kind of input do you think you'r going to get from licensed electricians? Stick to flooring

wireguy8169

If you don't have a EC license don't do the work! and what kind of input do you think you'r going to get from licensed electricians? Stick to flooring

I am not sure who you think you are but I just passed the Maine Master Electricians liscense test....I am not looking to do work till I have my liscense in hand I moved here from PA where I could not transfere my Journeymans. So if you do not know how to read then don't comment on a post. And I will get input from folks that know how to read...hotwire oh and if you read my post or previous post you may know that or you could have politely asked are you liscensed. I only did floor in PA cause the town that I was living in barely paid ten bucks an hour for a journeyman and flooring was prevailing wage at 27 an hour. What a jerk

Last edited:

wireguy8169

Oh and incase anyone else would like to make a quick comment, I have passed my test to be liscensed in Maine so that is why I am now looking at what the rates are and why in my post I said up till now I haven't.

Thanks to all those that reply

electricmanscott

I am not sure who you think you are but I just passed the Maine Master Electricians liscense test....I am not looking to do work till I have my liscense in hand I moved here from PA where I could not transfere my Journeymans. So if you do not know how to read then don't comment on a post. And I will get input from folks that know how to read...hotwire oh and if you read my post or previous post you may know that or you could have politely asked are you liscensed. I only did floor in PA cause the town that I was living in barely paid ten bucks an hour for a journeyman and flooring was prevailing wage at 27 an hour. What a jerk

Oh and incase anyone else would like to make a quick comment, I have passed my test to be liscensed in Maine so that is why I am now looking at what the rates are and why in my post I said up till now I haven't.

Thanks to all those that reply

Anybody want to take this one? :D

As for the original question....

I would imagine "The going rates" are all over the place. Can't imagine that guys in Kittery are charging the same as guys in Westbrook or those guys are charging the same as guys in Old Town and on and on it goes...

LEO2854

Esteemed Member

Thanks

click this link this will give you somthing to work with..http://www.advantageforcontractors.com/Electrical FR Page.htm

ceb58

I am not looking to be a full blown EC but have been asked many times if I would give a price on a job and till now have not due to no License.

Anyhow, I know the rates I have charged before
Thanks

Your post was a little fuzzy. Maybe a little clarity would have gone a long way.

And for what it is worth, an assassin reply to someones post is not the best way to win friends and influence enemies.

wireguy8169

Your post was a little fuzzy. Maybe a little clarity would have gone a long way.

And for what it is worth, an assassin reply to someones post is not the best way to win friends and influence enemies.

Thanks, not sure what an assaissin reply is. I do see the way you broke it down about fuzzy, but not everywhere even requires liscensing and if its not required its not against the law to do the work. I just can't stand the guys that have such a way of answering as they do not answer the question just stick their chest out like hey if your not this or that why are you on this site. Guess it made me a bit ticked off...but thanks for pointing out the fuzziness.

wireguy8169

Anybody want to take this one? :D

As for the original question....

I would imagine "The going rates" are all over the place. Can't imagine that guys in Kittery are charging the same as guys in Westbrook or those guys are charging the same as guys in Old Town and on and on it goes...

Thats what I figured, just wondering if there was something...thanks I have no major overhead and so I could undercut the average EC but would like to avoid that as well as having a low rate now and then if I should decided to get back into it on a more consistent basis have to raise my rates drastically and hurt myself. But, as you put it thats what I kinda figured.

Thanks again

hotwire1955

You could of said that in your post, congratulations on passing your test!

wireguy8169

If you are considering working legally I bet you will find that you are VERY misinformed.

Fortunatly I haven't had any input other than one contractor I know said his ME gets $50 hr but I did not pick his brain more.,I have not yet done work in Maine for myself or any other EC it took me 8 months to finally get approval to sit for the test due to the licensing board losing some of my paper work and had to appeal the original denial to sit. Anyhow, I worked for myself in Western PA for 7yrs and did well but due to personal reasons had to close shop (stunk closing a shop that was making money), but there the area was so receesed (even in early 2000) that the labor rates even amongst legitimate contractors was very low, not to mention I have been out of business for myself for nearly 6yrs. Going rate there for a 100A change out was around $600...anyhow thanks for all the input

flyboy

Thats what I figured, just wondering if there was something...thanks I have no major overhead and so I could undercut the average EC but would like to avoid that as well as having a low rate now and then if I should decided to get back into it on a more consistent basis have to raise my rates drastically and hurt myself. But, as you put it thats what I kinda figured.

Thanks again

You have no major overhead?

1. Owner?s Salary __________________ (owners salary should not be less than
2. Advertising - YP ___________________$100,000, even in the first year of business)
3. Advertising ? Other ___________________
4. Answering Service ___________________
5. Bad Dept ___________________
6. Bank Charges ___________________
7. C.P.A. ___________________
8. Call Backs ___________________
9. Cellular Phone ___________________
10. Computer Expense ___________________
11. Credit Card Fees ___________________
12. Donations ___________________
13. Dues/Subscriptions ___________________
14. Educational Expense __________________