Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: External Receptacle While In Use Covers

External Receptacle While In Use Covers

I understand the 2005 NEC required external receptacles to have While In Use covers where the receptacles are supplying unattended equipment. Does this mean ALL external receptacles have to have While In Use Covers.
    I have just seen the older type of covers on one external receptacle on a brand new house.
    Thanks.

15 and 20 amp 125 and 250 volt receptacles in wet locations need a bubble.

406.8(B) Wet Locations.
    (1) 15- and 20-Ampere Outdoor Receptacles. 15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 250-volt receptacles installed outdoors in a wet location shall have an enclosure that is weatherproof whether or not the attachment plug cap is inserted.

Does this mean ALL external receptacles have to have While In Use Covers.

Not ALL external covers require the "in use" type. If you look at Bob's post you'll see the requirement for wet locations. Damp locations do not require the "in use" type of covers.
    Rob

Chief Moderator

All responses based on the 2011 NEC unless otherwise noted

If the outdoor receptacle is under some sort of substantial porch roof or similar, then you can still use the ordinary flipper lid covers. I've been using Arlington's "In Box" since they hit the market. The builders LOVE them. Much more attractive when compared with a traditional bubble cover.

External GFCI protection in Screen Porch Addition.

I see many receptacles which would originally have been exterior, but have now been covered by the addition of a rear screened porch, and are therefore no longer exterior as such. Do they still need GFCI protection ???

I guess that would depend on your idea of outside.

210.8 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel.

(A) Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in (1) through ( 8 ) shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

(3) Outdoors

Exception: Receptacles that are not readily accessible and are supplied by a dedicated branch circuit for electric snow-melting or deicing equipment shall be permitted to be installed in accordance with the applicable provisions of Article 426.

Exactly my point. The receptacle in a screened porch addition is no longer external, and if broken, i often wonder whether it should be replaced with another GFCI receptacle. The Receptacle would still, in most cases, serve portable equipment being used in a wet location. Am i looking at this the right way, it seems a bit of a grey area. Thanks.

Locations

. The NEC draws a fine line between wet and damp. Flip covers are fine on exterior residential GFCI recepts. Exclude pools/hot tubs etc. A recept hanging out on a porch or under eaves etc is not a wet location.

The problem is that on a hot month of July I plug whatever I want into a flip cover GFCI on the side of my house, in Texas or Michigan.

Or for Christmas lites etc. It is not a wet location. It is sometimes damp.

Thus flip covers are acceptable.

In a monsoon, well maybe a bubble. Lets not over think the obvious. If so then what are flip covers for? And regard as to their listing etc.
    Last edited by Gmack; 10-11-06 at 06:44 PM.

I say that if the porch is just screened, it's still outdoors. If it's got windows all the way around, then you're indoors.

I have just done a Home Inspection on a house only 3 months old. The Rear Screened Porch has a bubble cover (within the confines of the porch), and the external outlet under the eaves has the flip type. I have told the Buyers to ask the Builder to put a Bubble type to the exterior under eaves receptacle. I am starting to get really confused. Does anyone have any more thoughts. Appreciate your time guys.