emt

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjdad82

There is a debate that we should be considering a coupling in a broken run of emt conduit to fall under the securing and supporting within 3 foot rule of an outlet box, junction box, device box, cabinet, conduit body, or other termination. Here in florida l find that some inspectors feel the termination portion of this is what explains why they enforce this 3 foot rule at couplings and some do not. The definition of termination is an end point or a final result, a coupling is a usually a continuation of a run not an end point. I do feel that strapping conduit runs more than the code calls for is usually needed more often than not, although my understanding of the code in 358.30 does not consider a coupling to be part of the 3 foot rule. Is this standard for most areas to be a pressed code or more of a standard of practice?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I defer to Ken to search this, but I'm guessing that securing within 3' of a coupling ended in 93. How old is your inspector?:)

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
There is a debate that we should be considering a coupling in a broken run of emt conduit to fall under the securing and supporting within 3 foot rule of an outlet box, junction box, device box, cabinet, conduit body, or other termination. Here in florida l find that some inspectors feel the termination portion of this is what explains why they enforce this 3 foot rule at couplings and some do not. The definition of termination is an end point or a final result, a coupling is a usually a continuation of a run not an end point. I do feel that strapping conduit runs more than the code calls for is usually needed more often than not, although my understanding of the code in 358.30 does not consider a coupling to be part of the 3 foot rule. Is this standard for most areas to be a pressed code or more of a standard of practice?

If you have a 2008 NEC HANDBOOK look at Exhibit 358.1 page 418:)

triplstep

Here in northern Illinois emt is used extensively in residential as well as commercial. Point being, emt is sop. A three foot rule for support within a coupling would never be called out by an employed inspector.......

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As mentioned this is an old change:

348-13.gif

rjdad82

Yes some of our inspectors are older and I thought that their undrstanding of the code may be a little off in this situation, just making sure there wasn't something I was overlooking. Thank you for your input, very much appreciated.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What has that got to do with the price of tea in China???

There was a time in the last millennial that the requirement used the word fitting. Although it might be hard to believe, some older guys might not be up to speed with that change in code verbiage.

Status
Not open for further replies.