Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For recessed lighting - what does the IC mean?

For recessed lighting - what does the IC mean?

I haven't installed recessed lighting in over 10 years. and in looking trough the Halo Lighting site, I noticed housings - some were I see IC and Non-IC versions.

I know that you need clearance between insulation, but when they list a clearance, does that distance also specify distance from floor joists, etc.? I have a job I'm looking at with some recessed lighting that is for a drop ceiling in a basement.

Thanks,

Brett
    Last edited by bjp_ne_elec; 10-16-06 at 05:34 AM.

"IC" means the fixture is rated for direct contact with insulation, a non-IC needs a certain clearance, usually 3'
    John from Baltimore
    "One Day at a Time"
    Responses based on the 2008 NEC

If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos...then you probably haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation

The I C cans have a thermal protector that opens circuit if can gets too hot.Although not always needed i suggest using them.Besure it actually say i c rated as some look as they do but are not rated.

So what does "IC" actally stand for?

Quess: insulated can - but I doubt it

Red face

"Insulation Contact"? To be honest, I don't know either.
    John from Baltimore
    "One Day at a Time"

If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos...then you probably haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation

Well - I'm relieved - I thought it was only me. I actually felt a little dumb asking that question - but how else ya going to learn.

That's why this site is so great - someone's always willing to jump in and give an answer.

Thanks,

Brett

This forum is a fantastic learning tool-and it makes me keep my NEC within reach all the time!
    John from Baltimore
    "One Day at a Time"

I was told "IC" meant "In Contact" and it could be in contact with the insullation... My source is a guy at the Home Depot, so take it for what it's worth...

Because of supply and demand the IC cans are usually cheaper than the Non IC

In residential work the only place I will use a Non IC can is for heat lamps in a bathroom

According to Lightolier, the IC rating means "insulated ceiling" rated. The fixture can be completely embedded or covered with insulation.
    Rob

Chief Moderator

All responses based on the 2011 NEC unless otherwise noted