NEC required light switch locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wireit

I am unable to find in the NEC a requirement for switch location serving general lighting (non-dwelling installation). The only thing I have found is that a switch is required to be readily accessible. As I read article 100 readily accessable does not require the switch to be located in a convenient location, i.e. in coordination with a door swing. I find nothing in the NEC that requires a switch at each entry to a room, the switch be located within the room it is serving or even within close proximity.

Am I missing something?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I agree with the others. Here in CA, for Commercial work, the switches are required to be within sight of the lights they control, per the CA Energy Code.

iwire

Staff member
cowboyjwc said:
I agree with the others. Here in CA, for Commercial work, the switches are required to be within sight of the lights they control, per the CA Energy Code.

Curious how that plays out in many locations.

Restaurants?

Big Box stores?

Auditoriums?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I did give the short version, gets a little trickyer when you get into the installations that you mentioned.

You can go here http://www.energy.ca.gov/ and I believe that you can look at the standards. Don't try to download it, it's every bit as big as the NEC. You're looking for the 2005 Building Energy Efficiency Standards Nonresidential Compliance Manual and then there is a Residential Compliance Manual.

Last edited:

480sparky

iwire said:
Curious how that plays out in many locations.

Restaurants?

Big Box stores?

Auditoriums?

Yea, I see the problem here.... let's put the switches out where kids can shut them off.

Typically, I see the applications as having lighting contactors in the elec. room, controlled by switches in the back room, managers office, or even remotely (a good example is Wal~Mart... they control everything via satellite).

ryan_618

The closest thing there is is for storage and equipment spaces. 210.70(A)(3):

Storage or Equipment Spaces. For attics, underfloor spaces, utility rooms, and basements, at least one lighting outlet containing a switch or controlled by a wall switch shall be installed where these spaces are used for storage or contain equipment requiring servicing. At least one point of control shall be at the usual point of entry to these spaces. The lighting outlet shall be provided at or near the equipment requiring servicing.

celtic

ryan_618 said:
The closest thing there is is for storage and equipment spaces. 210.70(A)(3):
..isn't that dwelling units?

Wireit said:
I am unable to find in the NEC a requirement for switch location serving general lighting (non-dwelling installation).

Not trying to rain on your parade Ryan....:D

iwire

Staff member
480sparky said:
or even remotely (a good example is Wal~Mart... they control everything via satellite).

Almost all chain stores use an energy management system, often there are no manual override switches anywhere in the store. You either need a password and a keypad or a phone call to the headquarters.

I worked on one chain department store where all lighting including Exit signs and receptacle outlets where shut down when the store was closed.

I inspected a Home Depot that has all the lighting, heating and A/C controlled via a company in Indiana. There was a manual override of the lighting, but not the heat or A/C. As I think of it, the lighting may have override may only have been a portion of the lighting.

The manager explained to me that the remote "watchdogs" will have the lights on just before they get to open the store, and the lights go out just after the end of shift. They also control "daylight Harvesting" (or whatever that is called), I thought that was pretty interesting. A store in NY and a company in Indiana controlling the lights based on the amount of sunshine in NY.:cool:

BTW: The service and the energy management equipment all came to the store prepackaged/wired. The EC just supplied conductors to them.

480sparky

iwire said:
I worked on one chain department store where all lighting including Exit signs and receptacle outlets where shut down when the store was closed.

Great! Now the burglars have a reason to sue the store when they break in during the night and bust thier neck because they can't see.

And sue they will. And win.

Status
Not open for further replies.