Darwin Award -stealing live wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

megloff11x

From Reuters:

BERLIN (Reuters) - A thief in Germany was charred beyond recognition by a 10,000 volt electric shock when he tried to steal a live copper cable, authorities said Monday.

Police in the western city of Duisburg found the 32-year-old man's blackened remains by a set of cable cutters and pile of non-live cables he had already stolen.

Only because one of his hands survived incineration were officers able to identify the man as German of Kazakh origin.

"His fingerprints were already logged on police files," a local police spokesman said. "The force of the shock was so great that the hand was severed from his body."

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I have pictures of this, but cannot figure how to post them, since the site I got them from will not let me cut and paste.

If you would like them send me a private messege and I will email them to you.

cowboyjwc said:
I have pictures of this, but cannot figure how to post them, since the site I got them from will not let me cut and paste.

If you would like them send me a private messege and I will email them to you.

Try right clicking the picture, click on copy. The open a reply window for this site and right click on the screen, choosing paste. That may work. If that works, I would post that the pictures may offend some.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
John just sent me the photos by email. Actually, it was a power point presentation of several photos. The images were distressing, to say the least. I replied to John that I do not choose to post any of the photos here. I propose to leave the dead in peace, and to leave the image of the man's injuries to the imagination of anyone who desires to imagine such things. A tragedy brought about by one's own misconduct still remains a tragedy.

cschmid

but too show what actually can happen when the human body comes in contact with 10k might be educational..they need not open the thread if it is label good enough but I also understand your point..

celtic

cowboyjwc said:
Can you just post a link to the website?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I did chat with Charlie and I agree that they need not be posted.

I do not have a link to the original site, but as I have told others if you do want to see it I will email it to you. Just send me a PM with your email address.

As I said to Charlie, it is graphic, but it does make a point.

realolman

charlie b said:
John just sent me the photos by email. Actually, it was a power point presentation of several photos. The images were distressing, to say the least. I replied to John that I do not choose to post any of the photos here. I propose to leave the dead in peace, and to leave the image of the man's injuries to the imagination of anyone who desires to imagine such things. A tragedy brought about by one's own misconduct still remains a tragedy.

Good man, Charles E. Beck

480sparky

I remember so well a very similar incident right here near me.

Utility was constructing a new hi-voltage line. Metal theif showed up on night and rolled the wire right off the pulleys. Even spooled it up right on to the spool & trailer the utility had at the site.

Next day, the utility replaced the wire, and that night, the theif showed up and did the same thing... spooled the wire right on to the original spool still on the utility trailer.

So the third times the charm... utility sends out extra crews, reinstalls cable, and makes sure it's going to stay there. They do some OT to remove the pulleys, install the insulators, and energize the whole shebang.

Since the wire was no longer hanging in the pulleys, the theif decided to climb the towers and cut it down by hand.....Next morning, there on the news, is the guy's body hanging upside down by is right foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.