? on some key machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

gotmud

So went to a buisness today and he bought some used machine on wheels that I can only assume is a key cutting machine...

It says on the side 120/240...20 amps. I looked inside the cover and it has 3 motors in it??? Anyhows This is what I tend to do...Run a 10/3 w/g because I assume it needs a neutral (120/240)...So do I put a 2p 30amp breaker with 30amp recept, or a 20 amp set up on both ends.:confused: Any advice would be great....

lakee911

So went to a buisness today and he bought some used machine on wheels that I can only assume is a key cutting machine...

That's a big assumption ... lots of machines can be on wheels.

It says on the side 120/240...20 amps. I looked inside the cover and it has 3 motors in it??? Anyhows This is what I tend to do...Run a 10/3 w/g because I assume it needs a neutral (120/240)...So do I put a 2p 30amp breaker with 30amp recept, or a 20 amp set up on both ends.:confused: Any advice would be great....

What does the 20A refer to? If it's for the total load, I would think that a 25A CB would be needed, minimum and #10 wire could be used. If it's referring to the CB size, I would think you could use 20A on #12.

gotmud

Ya but the machine is really a mute point....The tag on the side just said...voltage 120/240 and under amps (which is all it said) AMPS was 20..It's not a compressor so it does not have a min/max breaker tag on it....It just says 20 amps.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Are you sure that it didn't say 20/10 amps? I usually think on a motor 120/240 means you can hook it up at either voltage. Does it have a light or something on it that would need a neutral?

growler

Ya but the machine is really a mute point....The tag on the side just said...voltage 120/240 and under amps (which is all it said) AMPS was 20..It's not a compressor so it does not have a min/max breaker tag on it....It just says 20 amps.

First: 120/240V? That just means that the motors can be run on either 120 or 240V so you need to find out what they are tapped for at the present.

If the things is on wheels that means it's mobile and probably ment to be cord and plug connected. The 20 Amps would probably mean a 20 Amp circuit would be necessary if it's set up to run on 120V.

When working with used equipment you have to check it out yourself because you never know what the people working on the machine before you did with it.

One thing that can be done is the machine is not to old. Get the model number and just go on-line and see if the manufacturer has any information on the machine. There is all kinds of information out there if you know where and how to look.

dbuckley

I'd give the thing some juice and put the clamp on it.

Mind you, I'd do earth bond and megger (or leakage) tests first!

Edited to add: actually, I am mandated to do those tests by regulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.