2 poles on 3 wires

Status
Not open for further replies.
is there anywhere in the code book that says whether or not you can't or you can put a multiwire cirucit that feeds ONLY 120v loads on a 2pole breaker. i have looked and i can't find anything that says that you can't, but i can't find anything that says you can
luke

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
electricdrill said:
is there anywhere in the code book that says whether or not you can't or you can put a multiwire cirucit that feeds ONLY 120v loads on a 2pole breaker. i have looked and i can't find anything that says that you can't, but i can't find anything that says you can
luke

You can do it. It is not an issue.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Art. 210.4(B) of the 2008 will require simultaneously disconnect all ungrounded conducts for a multiwire branch circuit

paul

Dennis Alwon said:
Art. 210.4(B) of the 2008 will require simultaneously disconnect all ungrounded conducts for a multiwire branch circuit

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:D

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
paul said:
You can put a single wire on a 3-pole breaker if you wish.

This is indeed correct but I think the op wanted to know if can use a double pole for a MWBC instead of 2 sp breakers.

paul

Dennis Alwon said:
This is indeed correct but I think the op wanted to know if can use a double pole for a MWBC instead of 2 sp breakers.

Yeah, I sorta reversed what he was asking. I guess my point is, at this time, it doesn't matter where you use 2pole or 3pole breakers...until 2008 of course.

Jim W in Tampa

Dennis Alwon said:

Now isnt that a great idea ? One circuit fails and we can kill every cubical at same time.And power poles have common neutral so i cant fix by giving each its own neutral.Let me guess,3pole breakers cost more.

dbuckley

In my opinion this requirement is well overdue.

Of course, if you dont like it, or the job calls for it, you can always run more neutrals, theres no requirement to actually use a MWBC. But if you do, starting with the 2008 book, you have to do them "properly".

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Jim,
Now isnt that a great idea ? One circuit fails and we can kill every cubical at same time.
The rule does not require common trip, only a means of common disconnect. The new code rule can be complied with by the use of a handle tie and many times when one of the breakers trips it does not turn the other one(s) off.
Don

tallguy

don_resqcapt19 said:
Jim,

The rule does not require common trip, only a means of common disconnect. The new code rule can be complied with by the use of a handle tie and many times when one of the breakers trips it does not turn the other one(s) off.
Don
Can one then legitmately temporarily remove the handle tie in order to reset the tripped breaker without turning off the other one??

iwire

Staff member
dbuckley said:
But if you do, starting with the 2008 book, you have to do them "properly".

Hold on buddy, I have been doing them 'properly' for years most times with SP breakers.

The NEC has now just changed what 'proper' is.

Status
Not open for further replies.