mamager

Status
Not open for further replies.

zog

Please give me some insite if Cal#2 rated clothing is what we need to work on 480 volt three phase live. With covers off and live part exposed.

No idea what cal#2 means. There is HRC 2 clothing requirements Arc rated clothing is rated in cal/cm2, sounds like you have them confused.

As far as you question, no, no one can, the PPE requirements are based off the available fault current and clearing times, on 480V systems that can be anywhere between just cotton clothing to beaing so dangerous there is no PPE in the world that will protect you.

But, you cannot just work on something live because you want to, you need justfication to work energized and if you can justify it you need an Energized work permit, which requires a risk analysis.

I suggest you get some 70E training, at least start by reading the FAQ's in the safety section of this forum.

raider1

Staff member
I am moving this thread to the safety forum as it is not related to lighting.

Please give me some insite if Cal#2 rated clothing is what we need to work on 480 volt three phase live. With covers off and live part exposed.

Has an arc flash study been done in accordance with NFPA 70E?

There are way too many variables to simply state that a Hazard Category 2 rated clothes are suitable for what you are doing. The Task Tables in 70E require that you know the clearing times of the over current protective devices and the available fault current. The clearing times and available fault current must fall within the parameters of the Notes to Table130.7(C)(9) before you can use the Tables for specific tasks.

Keep in mind that OSHA is very restrictive as to when you are permitted to work live.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.