Lighting allowance basics ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

titan1021

I am just wondering how a Lighting Allowance typically works, say for a custom home.

Does the EC provide a selection of fixtures, at the value assigned to each type of fixture in the lighting allowance breakdown?

Would the GC or home owner be responsible to select fixtures priced within the values given to each type of fixture in the lighting allowance?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

dezwitinc

In my experience, the builder tells the homeowner they have X number of dollars to spend and anything they spend over that is their responsibility.
Typically, the lighting allowance is so meager that once you have purchased the closet lights, you're out of money.
You'll end up with porcelain keyless fixtures hanging everywhere so you can pass the final.

P.S. - Are you going to be responsible for supplying the fixtures? Make sure that you get your cut out of that allowance if you also have to handle the fixtures.

Last edited:

SmithBuilt

I just put a dollar amount in the bid for roughly what I think the fixtures will be. Then the customer may pick what he wants. If you get a discount for fixtures (I do not) you can put in the bid that retail prices are what the customer will pay. I also put in a little for picking up the fixtures and bulbs. Be sure your covered in case they buy a very heavy hard to hang fixture.

Put it all in writing.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
titan1021 said:
I am just wondering how a Lighting Allowance typically works, say for a custom home.
It doesn't work. You will spend so much time on the phone, dealing with designer, fixture suppliers, and the home owner it will kill you.

Put this in your bid:

Fixtures by others. Price does not include installation of fixtures not supplied by the EC.

dezwitinc

chris kennedy said:
It doesn't work. You will spend so much time on the phone, dealing with designer

Ah yes, the dreaded interior designer. We just received a spec package for a Miami Beach house.
Our cost - $95,000.00
Designer Budget - $15,000.00

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
SmithBuilt said:
I also put in a little for picking up the fixtures and bulbs. Be sure your covered in case they buy a very heavy hard to hang fixture. Put it all in writing.
And this always works for you? I think not!

I'm leaving this thread due to the fact that this is a major reason I quit resi.

Life is to short for this headache.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
i don't provide fixtures (except for recessed) nor do i pick them up. they must be on-site when i arrive for the trim, or they get a trip charge for me coming back. we have lighting supply houses around here that will deliver all the fixtures and bulbs; either the GC or EC just has to call them when they need to be delivered.

Price does not include installation of fixtures not supplied by the EC.

your price should cover the installation of any fixture you provide an outlet for.

mdshunk

I havn't done a lighting allowance for at least 10 years. I provide recessed cans, basement and attic keyless sockets, and fluorescent closet strips. All else is by others.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
mdshunk said:
I havn't done a lighting allowance for at least 10 years. I provide recessed cans, basement and attic keyless sockets, and fluorescent closet strips. All else is by others.

We do the same. But if someone designed the job with a specific fixture package we would handle and install the fixtures. For this we would get to mark up the cost of the fixtures.

mdshunk

infinity said:
We do the same. But if someone designed the job with a specific fixture package we would handle and install the fixtures. For this we would get to mark up the cost of the fixtures.
Right... that would be more the commercial work where you'd get a fixture schedule. Naturlally, I'd have that in my bid price, and provide those. It's a lot more rare to get a fixture schedule for a resi job, in my experience. Every now and again, but not very often. I suppose guys that do condo buildings and tract homes might have certain fixtures called out so that every unit is the same. I never really did that sort of work.

KelleyF

We never supply any type of "decorative" fixture. We will install, but it is always provided by others in our proposal. fixtures must be on site and marked for location by homeowner or GC with lightbulbs with the fixtures. We also dont warranty customer or GC supplied material etc.

fisherelectric

We supply the recessed, closet lights, under-cabinets, smoke detectors, spot lights and keyless, all other fixtures and fans by others. No bulbs....no hang fixtures. Fixture missing......return trip charge.

SmithBuilt

chris kennedy said:
And this always works for you? I think not!
Yea, I forgot to mention I'm the GC on my jobs. I don't do any resi for others.

chris kennedy said:
I'm leaving this thread due to the fact that this is a major reason I quit resi.

Life is to short for this headache.

We both agree on that. I'm out a here.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.