well house question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
An EC friend of mine, who use to work for me, called me and ask a question about his installation.

He wired a pressure switch, located within sight of the main service panel, for a 1 1/2 hp well pump. The well pump was 100 feet or so from the pressure switch. He used 12/3 because he wanted to use one leg to feed a light at the well house.

Instead of breaking both legs at the pressure switch he only broke one phase so the other phase was hot at the pump house. There is a DP disconnect at the well house to disconnect the power to the well and the light.

He got red tagged. I think the installation is nec compliant but not how I would have done it. Inspector did not leave a code section.

Is it compliant?

eric stromberg

Dennis Alwon said:
An EC friend of mine, who use to work for me, called me and ask a question about his installation.

He wired a pressure switch, located within sight of the main service panel, for a 1 1/2 hp well pump. The well pump was 100 feet or so from the pressure switch. He used 12/3 because he wanted to use one leg to feed a light at the well house.

Instead of breaking both legs at the pressure switch he only broke one phase so the other phase was hot at the pump house. There is a DP disconnect at the well house to disconnect the power to the well and the light.

He got red tagged. I think the installation is nec compliant but not how I would have done it. Inspector did not leave a code section.

Is it compliant?

Is there a neutral going to the well, or is the 'other' side of the light connected to the ground wire?

Down in these parts, the control box cover has blades on it and when the cover is removed both sides of the circuit are opened. This counts as the disconnect.

Dennis Alwon said:

Is it compliant?

Kinda to me but this kind of pratice was pretty common up this far northen area. not for only light some case heat tape to keep the pipe from frezzing as well

I understand that the 12-3 UF wire is feeding the pump and light and when the wire go in the pump house and the DP is the first place for disconection for both light and pump that fine it will meet the code.

but for pressure switch that diffrent story normally it should disconnect both legs simiuslty [ same time ] on 240 v appaction.

i dont know why the inspector did gave that place a red tag because it stated the DP disconnect switch is the first place.

I will ask the inspector to cite the code if he can come up.

Merci, Marc

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Yes there is a neutral hence the 12/3. 220 for the pump, and 110 for the light.

frenchelectrician said:
for pressure switch that diffrent story normally it should disconnect both legs simiuslty [ same time ] on 240 v appaction.

I don't believe both legs at the pressure switch need to be broken but I am not sure.

Michael15956

frenchelectrican said:
but for pressure switch that diffrent story normally it should disconnect both legs simiuslty [ same time ] on 240 v appaction.

Merci, Marc

You know Marc I agree with you reference to the switch, 430.103. This may be where the red tag is coming from.

walkerj said:
Is the pump 120 or 240

hate to be blunt with you but please excuse me for a min majorty of 1 1/2 sumbergeable pumps majorty are wired for 240 volts and Dennis did mention wire size really clear say 12-3 so very good change it will be on 240 volts if wired on 120 volts you will end up 20 amp also

but i going wait and see what Dennis reply on this one but i am pretty sure it is 240 volts

Merci, Marc

oppps he say 240 volt for the pump [ i have to add this on to this ]

Last edited:

walkerj

frenchelectrican said:
hate to be blunt with you but please excuse me for a min majorty of 1 1/2 sumbergeable pumps majorty are wired for 240 volts and Dennis did mention wire size really clear say 12-3 so very good change it will be on 240 volts if wired on 120 volts you will end up 20 amp also

but i going wait and see what Dennis reply on this one but i am pretty sure it is 240 volts

Merci, Marc
You are right. I read 1/2, I missed the other 1 before it

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
walkerj said:
Yea, if the pump is 220, the switch should break both the legs

The pump is 220 and the diconnect at the well does open both legs. The question is really whether the controller (pressure switch) must open both ungrounded conductors.

Dennis Alwon said:
The pump is 220 and the diconnect at the well does open both legs. The question is really whether the controller (pressure switch) must open both ungrounded conductors.

it should be.

on the controller itself both legs should be open both ungrounded conductors

i think that where the inspector was try to cite that part.

Merci, Marc

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
frenchelectrican said:
it should be.

on the controller itself both legs should be open both ungrounded conductors

i think that where the inspector was try to cite that part.

Merci, Marc

I am looking for a code article that says yeah or nay. I have not seen one yet.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I may have answered my own question--- art 430.84 The controller shall not be required to open all conductors to the motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.