article 424 can I avoid another disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddurfee

I notice that some room based fixed heaters do not have an on-off switch on them and also do not have a disconnect within sight.

It appears on my reading of article 424 that for one and two family dwellings you can use the branch circuit breaker (in the main panel) as the disconnect even if it is not within sight as long as the breaker allows for a "lockout".

Is this breaker having a potential for a "lockout" what keeps the manufacturers from having to provide an on/off or the electrician from putting an unsightly disconnect in the living room?

Are inspectors generally ok with this?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I notice that some room based fixed heaters do not have an on-off switch on them and also do not have a disconnect within sight.

It appears on my reading of article 424 that for one and two family dwellings you can use the branch circuit breaker (in the main panel) as the disconnect even if it is not within sight as long as the breaker allows for a "lockout".

Is this breaker having a potential for a "lockout" what keeps the manufacturers from having to provide an on/off or the electrician from putting an unsightly disconnect in the living room?

Are inspectors generally ok with this?

I use a DP Thermostat which will disconnect both legs from a 240V breaker

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
DD, welcome to the forum! :)

I've never seen nor installed a lockout tab on BB heater circuits.

Thermostats with "off" on them do qualify as disco's, by the way.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

It would specifically require a lockout in lieu of being within sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.