Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wire Type inside Pole Barn

Wire Type inside Pole Barn

What is the correct type of wire to put "inside" an enclosed pole barn for lighting and plugs? Does code require UF cable or can I use regular NMB 12-2? Does it have to be in conduit?

That depends if the pole barn is classified as a Agricultural Building in accordance with Article 547.

Take a look at 547.5 for the allowable wiring methods for an agricultural building.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by th111447
    What is the correct type of wire?
    I gotta say this, I can’t help myself, I just gotta say this one time.

Use electric wires…hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee,
    Mike Whitt
    God answers Knee-Mail.

If building is just classified as an accessory building by the building depart which is the case most of the time NM or UF cable can be installed but both will require protection unless routed in 2X4 or 2X6 stud walls

The building is not being used for agriculture use. It is a residential pole barn.

What is the correct type of wire?
    Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric
    Use electric wires…hee, hee, hee, hee, hee, hee,
    Now that's damn funny.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bea
    If building is just classified as an accessory building by the building depart which is the case most of the time NM or UF cable can be installed but both will require protection unless routed in 2X4 or 2X6 stud walls
    Not to sure that you could use either. Since the OP stated that it was a pole barn (it can not be attached to a dwelling unit unless that dwelling unit had the same type of foundation: poles. I doubt it. Since this is more then likely is a detached structure and one that probably doesn't meet the definition of a dwelling unit......I would have to say no to UF and no to NM...

I would also go out on a limb to say the the OP just simply wanted to know the location type of a pole barn, wet, damp, or dry........But this is still my answer.

Jim
    New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by volt102
    ......I would have to say no to UF and no to NM...
    Jim
    New Hampshire
    Why would you not use UF. I just put a service on a pole type structure and the Inspector insisted on UF with dust proof fittings.

What would you use to wire this?
    Norb
    My Boss is a Tyrant and my Employee is an Idiot.

You could use NM-C wire. But I don't know if its available.....
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

Quote Originally Posted by 1793
    Why would you not use UF. I just put a service on a pole type structure and the Inspector insisted on UF with dust proof fittings.

What would you use to wire this?
    A pole barn with a place to install the cables concealed behind a 15-minute finish rating?

Now don't get me wrong, there may be such a thing, but up here in NH, I haven't seen one yet.

Jim
    New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by volt102
    A pole barn with a place to install the cables concealed behind a 15-minute finish rating?

Now don't get me wrong, there may be such a thing, but up here in NH, I haven't seen one yet.

Jim
    New Hampshire
    Please don't get me wrong I'm not a confrontational kind of guy but why would this pole barn be any different than an unfinished garage or basement wired in NM?

I'm here to learn
    Norb
    My Boss is a Tyrant and my Employee is an Idiot.