Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wire Type inside Pole Barn

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by th111447
    Seems to be a lot of debate on what wire to use. I'll call my inspector tomorrow and see what his recommendation is.
    Please report back with the answer(s) you get.

Thanks
    Norb
    My Boss is a Tyrant and my Employee is an Idiot.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by volt102
    I started a thread about this subject a few moths ago.

It is very different in some ways, very much the same in others.

The buildings construction type...A detached garage is not a dwelling unit.

Do I like it... No. Have I approved the installation of such... Yes. My building inspector has interpreted(or twisted) our building code in a way to view a detached structure that is an accessory use to a residential dwelling unit just that, part of a dwelling unit.

However, The code does prohibit NM and UF in a detached garage/pole barn/pool shed/shed and all the other accessory structures that do not meet the definition of a dwelling unit.

With all that being said...Gotta do something about this in the 2011....

Jim
    New Hampshire
    Please excuse me while I eat crow.
    Norb

Quote Originally Posted by mdshunk
    Quote Originally Posted by iwire
    Quote Originally Posted by mdshunk
    I must have a bum copy of the code. It doesn't say that at all in mine.
    It did not used to, if you look hard it does now.

I think it is a bad change.
    HOLY SMOKES! How did I not see that? How did both '05 code change classes I attended fail to mention that? That's a biggie. I'm still floored by that revelation.
    I’m looking at the side bars that specify the changed/added paragraphs and I don’t see a change for 2005 that would require a different wiring method for detached buildings for the latest code.

Are you looking at the change between 1999 and 2002 ?

If there’s a change between 2002 and 2005, I don’t see it nor has it been brought up in our IAEI continuing ed classes.

David
    David
    Inspector
    Medina County Ohio
    &
    PSECI

I will let you know Norb. I left a message this morning and the inspector has not returned the call. I'll try early tomorrow morning again.

The building is not being used for agriculture use. It is a residential pole barn.
    I know its not NEC but I didn't think pole barns were allowed to be residential.

Is that a barn for poles to reside in? (No racial slurs intended)
    (yes it's REALLY my name) HVAC/ Electrical Contractor licensed Chicago,IL ... I said its OFF! Don't you trust me?

Norb inspector never did call me back. I talked to two of my neighbors which have pole barns and they had inspections in the last couple of years. They ran regular NM-B cable and said it's fine. I will do the same and call them out for the inspection. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm going to shoot for Wed. for inspection. Hopefully they show up.

Norb-

I talked to Electrical Inspector today. He said as long as no animals are going to be in barn I could use NM-B wire which is my case. If I were to put animals in then I would need NMC. Well, thanks for all your help. I have my inspection tomorrow. We will see how it goes.

Thumbs up

Norb-

I talked to Electrical Inspector today. He said as long as no animals are going to be in barn I could use NM-B wire which is my case. If I were to put animals in then I would need NMC. Well, thanks for all your help. I have my inspection tomorrow. We will see how it goes.
    Thanks for the report. I hope your Inspection goes well.
    Norb

Pole Building?

I wired a pole building, the poles where like 8" sq, used romex and passed the inspection. I routed and stapled the romex cables on the stringers a min of 8 feet to 10 feet off the concrete floor and routed the cables in the 1-1/2" space between the 8" sq poles and stringers.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    What are the types III, IV, and V construction referenced in 334.10? Might make this long ignored revelation more paletable.
    Tom
    TBLO