split-wired 20A rated 125V "per side"

Status
Not open for further replies.

switchleg45

My supply house tells me that they do not carry a 20A, duplex receptacle in tamper resistant....said they have no call for them...?..says since you cannot use a duplex that is rated for 125V for potentially 240V that everyone has gone to a 2-gang box w/(2) 20A single receptacle tamper resistant.

Which leads me to this question:
Is a 20A, 125V duplex receptacle rated 125V "per side" or "per device"?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
My supply house tells me that they do not carry a 20A, duplex receptacle in tamper resistant....said they have no call for them...?..says since you cannot use a duplex that is rated for 125V for potentially 240V that everyone has gone to a 2-gang box w/(2) 20A single receptacle tamper resistant.

Which leads me to this question:
Is a 20A, 125V duplex receptacle rated 125V "per side" or "per device"?

Yes they are, they just need a handle tie on the 2 circuits feeding it.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
If you are using the duplex receptacle for two fixed in place loads like a, dishwasher and disposal, I don't believe you need a tamper resistant receptacle. What is the application that you need two 20 amp circuits on a duplex?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If you are using the duplex receptacle for two fixed in place loads like a, dishwasher and disposal, I don't believe you need a tamper resistant receptacle. What is the application that you need two 20 amp circuits on a duplex?

Curious, based on 406.11 and 210.52, why would a fixed load receptacle not need to be tamper-proof ?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Curious, based on 406.11 and 210.52, why would a fixed load receptacle not need to be tamper-proof ?

You got me (I was thinking AFCI locations). You are correct, we still aren't in using them in CA. until January2011.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Leviton makes 20A rated duplex in the Commercial grade. I just bought some for a small job at a catholic school
leviton part # TBR-20 / pretty expensive to. $9.76 each from Rexel

Ouch, that can bite you on a bid job, if they spec all 20 amp recptacles..

Status
Not open for further replies.