Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Device tampering - Not kosher?

Question Device tampering - Not kosher?

When I saw a customer drilling a hole in a disconnect switch, so that he could lock the handle "on", I said that he was violating the switch's UL listing. Considering that this is an existing('01) installation, what Code article can I reference, and what recourse do I have?

I'm not sure what UL would say about it but the NEC never says anything about locking something on... just that the service disconnect must be capable of being locked in the off position.

It is becoming more common to have meter/main combos...nice safety feature but a little annoying when the neighborhood vandals can go down the street shutting off power to all the houses in the dead of winter.:mad:
    (yes it's REALLY my name) HVAC/ Electrical Contractor licensed Chicago,IL ... I said its OFF! Don't you trust me?

The reality is that a disconnect switch is not an "Emergency Off Switch"

A service person (or anyone) that needs access to the inside of the disconnect can take the time to locate the Lord of the Key.

If an EPO was needed it would be a seperate issue.

Some disconnects have options for lock mechanisms that require drilling into the enclosure for the installation.

Roger

Red face

Dave, I have no problem with locking the switch on; it's the drilling that's worried me.

How do you know it is a problem?

From Square D:
    On Series F devices, the lockplate on the side of the switch next to the handle has a very small indentation (a center punch) towards the top of the lockplate, which may be drilled out to accommodate a padlock. Note that drilling a hole in the steel of our painted devices will expose unpainted steel, which should be touched up with paint.
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Talking

Thanks guys! I'm glad to hear that unauthorized drilling is kosher; I guess we'll have to leave it to "a heigher authority" if we're wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTap
    It is becoming more common to have meter/main combos...nice safety feature but a little annoying when the neighborhood vandals can go down the street shutting off power to all the houses in the dead of winter.:mad:
    I have to ask: How many people have had problems with hoodlums shutting off mains? People seem to gripe about it all the time, but I've never encountered it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmos
    Thanks guys! I'm glad to hear that unauthorized drilling is kosher; I guess we'll have to leave it to "a heigher authority" if we're wrong.
    I am sorry that none of us could give the answer you wanted, but why the attitude? Who said unauthorized drilling was allowed? I quoted specific permission from a single manufacturer, others gave reasons why it might be desired.

Why do you see drilling as a problem?
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Quote Originally Posted by georgestolz
    I have to ask: How many people have had problems with hoodlums shutting off mains? People seem to gripe about it all the time, but I've never encountered it myself.
    It is a real problem for our commercial customers with outside disconnects.

The customer placing locks on them is pretty much a standard.

This applies to equipment disconnects as well as service disconnects.
    Last edited by iwire; 11-10-06 at 05:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jim dungar
    I am sorry that none of us could give the answer you wanted, but why the attitude? Who said unauthorized drilling was allowed? I quoted specific permission from a single manufacturer, others gave reasons why it might be desired.

Why do you see drilling as a problem?
    I don't think he has an attitude. The slogan for Hebrew National hotdogs is "We answer to a higher authority". He seems to be playing on "kosher" a bit much.

(Personally, if someone says "kosher", the first book I'm going to grab is not the NEC. I'm going to walk out into the kitchen where I keep all my books on keeping kosher )
    Julie in Austin

Born to brew, forced to work ...