Failed attic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakey

Got red tagged for the attic walkway not being "floored enough". I hope the homeowner feels handy. I can understand the situation but is this really my jurisdiction?
Oh and the homeowner wired the stove himself after rejecting my price..No lock out or permit..go pull the permit yourself!
So I failed for 2 things I cant control I guess.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Oakey said:
Got red tagged for the attic walkway not being "floored enough". I hope the homeowner feels handy. I can understand the situation but is this really my jurisdiction?
Oh and the homeowner wired the stove himself after rejecting my price..No lock out or permit..go pull the permit yourself!
So I failed for 2 things I cant control I guess.
I believe the attic issue is not in your jurisdiction. Ask for a code reference. If you do get stuck with it, however, I suggest making the homeowner an offer: You'll make the range compliant if he'll make the attic compliant.

iwire

Staff member
Unless the electrical inspector can produce an NEC code section for attic walkways I don't see it as your problem.

As far as wiring that I did not touch.....I am not responsible for it. Thats between the inspector and the property owner.

SmithBuilt

My local inspection office requires "safe access" before they will inspect anything. As in hand rails, walks, ect.

I agree in an existing home it is not your problem.

What does he need to see in the attic?

Oakey

The air handlers are up there and they are new. I believe he said improper access for servicing was the reason and cited a mechanical code. On his behave the inspector did make clear at the rough in inspection that he would be checking this. I promptly emphasized the same to the HO who,in turn, thought it was to much and only did half of what was requested.
I also made it clear to the inspector at rough that I would not be doing the oven .
How I got in the vise of this I have no idea... but thats one bright orange sticker :-?

I meant to put this in the contracting section... Srry

celtic

I don't see how the attic flooring is of any concern to the EC.
Did the EI provide a code number...you know, so you learn and don't do it again :roll:

The range...
I'm guessing the HO didn't pull their own permit?

These people here:
H/O running own wire

mdshunk

Was this an electrical inspector, or one of those new fangled "combo inspectors"? I've been hit with a few real good zingers from other code texts that apply to my electrical work here and there.

Oakey

Yup Celtic thats the one, knew this was gonna happen at final. Ill get a reference number.
Marc, he is an electrical inspector for the town. His business card has the names of the other inspectors in town as far as building, plumbing, etc and lists his as elec.
I'm just not crazy about having my license number in the failed bucket for something I cannot control, new one for me but maybe its common I dunno.

480sparky

Why would an electrical inspector be looking at the attic floor? And why is he citing a mechanical code? If he's an electrical inspector, then he's out of his league. Sounds more like he's a jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none.

celtic

Oakey said:
Yup Celtic thats the one, knew this was gonna happen at final. Ill get a reference number.

I'm just not crazy about having my license number in the failed bucket for something I cannot control, new one for me but maybe its common I dunno.

We all knew this was gonna happen.

The HO never pull that permit - did they?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Tell the inspector to give the "violation" to someone else because it's not an electrical problem therefore, it's not your problem.

Kessler4130

Your responsibilities ended when you wired the unit, you didn't purchase or set it in place, I don't see why it's accessibility is your problem. But then again I have failed an inspection because the HVAC guy didn't strap his thermostat wire.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If the inspector?s position were, ?I am failing it now, without having actually looked at the installation, because I refuse to go where it is not safe for me to go, so if you just make it safe for me to inspect your work, then I?ll be back,? then I would support that position. But it sounds like he is using an unrelated code to fail an electrical installation. I have to believe that that is beyond his authority.

rcarroll

I am a combo inspector with an elec. background. I would have failed the rough mechanical insp. for no catwalk to the air handlers & not passed the frame insp. ( We hold the frame hostage until all other roughs are complete) On this final, can't pass what I can't see, however, I wouldn't red tag one trade for another's deficit.

Oakey

Charlie he was up there with me and liked how I wired the units, but didnt like the catwalks or the platform to work on them. I have no idea why I am responsible for this but HO says he's gonna fix it. Fun stuff..
And no Celtic the HO didnt pull a new permit. Figures eh? This is a very tough inspector and somehow I had a feeling it was gonna go down like this.

celtic

Oakey said:
And no Celtic the HO didnt pull a new permit. Figures eh? This is a very tough inspector and somehow I had a feeling it was gonna go down like this.

No trying to beat you up or embarass you....
What's the plan next time Johnny Homeowner wants to play electrician?

haskindm

In this jurisdiction, once you request a rough-wire inspection, you are the "electrician of record" for the job. The good part is that nobody else can do electric work on the job. The bad part is that you are responsible for all electric on the job unless you can prove that you did not do it. This homeowner should be in DEEP trouble for attempting to do work under your license without your permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.