Recptical tension

Status
Not open for further replies.

j rae

I work at a hospital and they want us to tension test each recptical. Is it in the code the proper standard or would this fall under the FPA?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
See NFPA 99 4.3.3.2.4

Roger

Last edited:

Energize

To quote Ricky Ricardo, "Lucy! 'splain yerself"

What is "tension test" for receptacles? I do not have NFPA 99, so I am totally lost on this thread.

Please enlighten me, Obewan!:D

cschmid

In hospitals were the equipment is exspensive and the applications are critical in nature..the outlet must have good contact for the safety of personel and equipment..the tension is the grip strenght of the outlet to the plug blades being used in them..I hope that makes sense..the sentence sounds like it is not complete..busy day..

cowboyjwc

Staff member
If you are in intesive care you sure don't want the plug to your equipment falling out because the receptecales are worn out.

^^^^---------Beeeeeeeeeppppppppp

earshavewalls

The higher and stronger tension is part of what makes a hospital grade receptacle just that. Equipment is constantly plugged and unplugged in these devices and, as stated, the tension must be maintained for all of the types of equipment being used.

M. D.

480sparky said:

pretty neat,...do all attachment plugs have a standard thickness to the blades?? and,.. are they the same as that which is doing the testing ? or are receptacles designed to accept a varying degree in the thickness of the blades for attachment plugs??

M. D.

weressl said:
So why don't they just standardize on twistlocks?

because when the machine goes Beeeeeeeeeep they sometimes need to move you in a hurry :smile: Yank and go !

480sparky

M. D. said:
pretty neat,...do all attachment plugs have a standard thickness to the blades?? and,.. are they the same as that which is doing the testing ? or are receptacles designed to accept a varying degree in the thickness of the blades for attachment plugs??

I'm sure they are all the same size. Otherwise, some plugs will easily fall out, and others won't fit in at all. Probably someone will post a link to some NEMA standard.....

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Click HERE for the performance requirements of HG receptacles.

Roger

480sparky said:
I'm sure they are all the same size. Otherwise, some plugs will easily fall out, and others won't fit in at all. Probably someone will post a link to some NEMA standard.....

Prongs of plugs have slightly varying thicknesses and some are solid while others are 2 layers of metal folded over and occasionally seperated. Contacts in receptacles are "spring loaded" to help accept and hold them. :wink:

M. D.

480sparky said:
Seek, and ye shall find. Knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

Good old Matty

Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened

Could be this site's motto:)

Status
Not open for further replies.