Network Cable Length

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mkoloj

IF
HighWirey said:
The young man just wants to have his 'puter working

Then your prior suggestion is -probably the quickest and cheapest solution with the only change from me being a switch rather than a repeater if it is necessary. I would give it about a 99.9% that it will work.

HighWirey said:
Tryinghard,

If your son has the latitude to do this ? run the new network cable the 420+ feet, leaving a loop at some convenient location in the middle with sufficient in length to insert a repeater. If it works, it works. If not, cut in a repeater. No sense buying extra hardware.

I agree that the maximum length standard for most network cables is 100 meters. When I purchase network cable, my purchase order always specifies that a Certificate of Conformance assompany the shipment.

I always adhered to the 100 meter spec, but a rhetorical question here is: the cable is always put up in 1,000 foot spools/boxes ? ?how can the manufacturer certify that the cable met testing standards? if the put-up length is 1,000 feet? I know, they extrapolated the test results from past statistics, but it would seem that a reputable manufacturer would not risk their good reputations if they were not confident.

Have your son install the 420+ foot run. I?ll bet it works reliably.

Good luck,

Steve

M

mkoloj

ItsHot said:
Don't you just love doing 99% of these guys (and GIRLS) WORK and then have have them complain!!!

Yea I know, stupid low-volt guys right?

The last project we were involved with electricians the only complaint we had was when the voltage was tested on a L6-30R receptacle that was supposed to be fed with 208V and we found 156v on one phase to ground and 83v phase to ground on the other.
The stupid low-volt guys uncovered a problem that was traced back to a mistake that was made in a transformer that was installed 10+ years before and had been up and running in that state the whole time.

If you are doing 99% of the low-volt techs work, I feel sorry for you.
It seems like your working along trunk slamming hacks, I don't feel it is fair to stereotype a large group with your limited experiences.

Last edited:

HighWirey

No sir,

Low voltage guys are not stupid. We ECs have suffered from a lot of bad low voltage installations. But then we have all suffered from our own folks not being especially dilligent, and having to cover for 'em.

M

mkoloj

I don't mean to offend, please don't take it that way, it is true there are a lot of bad lo-volt installers/techs and they give other people a bad name, unfortunately the ratio of good to bad has leaned a little to the bad side sometimes and I can understand your frustrations having to work along some of these clowns.

Amen mkoloj AMEN! I'm having to fix alot of this work when the customer calls us because he thought he was dealing with a good contractor.. It ain't pretty believe me.

cschmid, Nice to meet you to, and everyone else here. Thanks for letting me put my 2 cents in. And no you don"t sound gruff. This girl can handle it. And I like the banter. Thats the way I run my crews.

Chris6245

Just to add my .02 cents worth. We had a customer that wanted to install a computer Kiosk in one of our local malls about 2 years ago. The closest place they could get their T-1 demark happened to be 550' from their Kiosk location. We told them we would run the Cat5e first and they could test it and if that didn't work we would install Fiber. (didn't want fiber because the demark was in a well used fire hall and didn't want to install equipment in the hall) So we installed and terminated the Cat5e and they tested it. It was well within thier speed peramiters and they were happy as heck not to spend the money on fiber. Been there ever since without a problem. They run 6 computers all day and never complain about speed. So Yes you can run over 380' and it will work.

ItsHot

Hey mkoloj and Steph! All I ment was having to run all that empty conduit for you and never getting to put anything in it other than a pull string (job security!! ) Miles of fire alarm!! Peace!!

Hey ItsHot,

Thanks for running all that empty conduit for me, I love it! I just wish the customer would stop trying to put so many damn wires it after I leave!

M

mkoloj

Chris6245 said:
Just to add my .02 cents worth. We had a customer that wanted to install a computer Kiosk in one of our local malls about 2 years ago. The closest place they could get their T-1 demark happened to be 550' from their Kiosk location. We told them we would run the Cat5e first and they could test it and if that didn't work we would install Fiber. (didn't want fiber because the demark was in a well used fire hall and didn't want to install equipment in the hall) So we installed and terminated the Cat5e and they tested it. It was well within thier speed peramiters and they were happy as heck not to spend the money on fiber. Been there ever since without a problem. They run 6 computers all day and never complain about speed. So Yes you can run over 380' and it will work.

Just out of curiousity, about the Cat 5e you installed, was that used
between the
-T-1 demarc and the router
or
-the router and the switch that was used to connect the 6 pc's?

HighWirey

Thanks for running all that empty conduit for me, I love it! I just wish the customer would stop trying to put so many damn wires it after I leave![/QUOTE]
Back in ought 2 (thats 1902!) when I was a pup, we ran 4" EMT all over these office buildings for the telco. Later, I visited some of those phone rooms, only to witness one lonely JK dribbling out of the 4" pipes. What the hay. We were paid for the work, but it just makes one say "humm . . ."

Chris6245

mkoloj said:
Just out of curiousity, about the Cat 5e you installed, was that used
between the
-T-1 demarc and the router
or
-the router and the switch that was used to connect the 6 pc's?
We ran directly from the T-1 demarkc to a 8 port router in the Kiosk. The T-1 was in a fire hall behind the food court on the second floor and the Kiosk was half way down a wing of the mall on the first floor. Still never understood why they couldn't get the demarc closer in one of the fire halls on the first floor but had to deal with the hand we were dealt.

M

mkoloj

Chris6245 said:
We ran directly from the T-1 demarkc to a 8 port router in the Kiosk. The T-1 was in a fire hall behind the food court on the second floor and the Kiosk was half way down a wing of the mall on the first floor. Still never understood why they couldn't get the demarc closer in one of the fire halls on the first floor but had to deal with the hand we were dealt.

I may be wrong (feel free to correct me if I am) but Ethernet was not being transported on the cable you are talking about.
You probably originated from a smart jack,
(similar to the box to the right of the 66 blocks with the orange tag on it)
Backboard.jpg

Telco can adjust the LBO (Line Build Out) to accommodate for long cable distances between the demarc and CPE, I don't know what their limit is, but I believe it is longer than the 100m that was discussed here.

They didn't put it where it was convenient for you because at least where I am the Telco usually terminates their circuits right after the point of entry to the premise, the inside wiring is and for a few years has been....the customer's responsibility.

Last edited:

Chris6245

You may be right. I just run the cable. But when he tested it he hooked it directly into his laptop and went online to his test site. No modem, router, switch or server hooked up on the end of the run. I'll have to swing by and look up by the demarc and see what equipment is at that end.

Status
Not open for further replies.