trim plate screws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwreuter

it's not that i can believe about the 'secret code', i can't believe we are having a discussion about the orientation of faceplate screws.:roll:

rwreuter

Would you rather talk about which way the ground goes on a receptacle:roll:

you mean or up or down?

to be honest no. i have read arguments on both sides and think the entire discussion about the orientation of the ground (up or down) is, well.....STUPID.

just attach the ground and install the receptacle and be done with it. i know that some electrical contractors would install the receptacle ground up on half hots to save from having to have a service call because the home either didn't know,

1. what the extra switch on the was for
2. what only half of the receptacle was working.

kbsparky

I'd prefer using Phillips screws, so this becomes a moot point. They have combo screws to mount the devices these days, why not the plate screws too? At least, some of the phone and TV jacks are coming through with Phillips screws now. :roll:

I was never anal enough to worry about how the slot of the faceplate screws ended up until I did a job for a high-end builder who insisted on this practice. :mad: So then the question becomes "horizontal or vertical"??

I always torqued them to hold the plates firm and secure. In past days most plates were bakelite and even ? turn of the screw too much could make them crack. :D

Vertical slots

Vertical slots

20 or so years ago my boss told me to always line the slots up vertically, so that my job would look neat, clean and professional. I have always done it this way and, imagine that, my jobs always look neat, clean and professional!!

This was discussed on another thread not too long ago, and someone pointed out that they were told to line the slots up vertically so that ladies wouldn't catch and possibly break fingernails on the slots (of toggle switch covers). makes sense to me

rwreuter

20 or so years ago my boss told me to always line the slots up vertically, so that my job would look neat, clean and professional. I have always done it this way and, imagine that, my jobs always look neat, clean and professional!!

This was discussed on another thread not too long ago, and someone pointed out that they were told to line the slots up vertically so that ladies wouldn't catch and possibly break fingernails on the slots (of toggle switch covers). makes sense to me

Vertical was the way I was taught also, (MCE, Merdian Center Electric), a very large residential electrical contractor in the Seattle/Tacoma WA area.

Status
Not open for further replies.