Thread: Smoke Detectors / Residential

Smoke Detectors / Residential

Where in the NEC does it address the smoke and/or carbon monoxide detector requirements for a residential home ???????????

It doesn't. Smoke detectors are covered by the building codes.
    May your electrons flow forever, and mine, one day longer! Ron

R317.1 Single- and multiple-station smoke alarms.

Single and multiple-station smoke alarms shall be installed and maintained in the following locations:

In each room used-for sleeping pucuoses.
    On the ceiling or wall outside of each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedrooms.
    In each story within the dwelling unit, including basements and cellars but not including crawl spaces and uninhabitable attics. In dwellings or dwelling units with split levels and without an intervening door between the adjacent levels, a smoke alarm installed on the upper level shall suffice for the adjacent lower level provided that the lower level is less than one full story below the upper level.
    When more than one smoke alarm is required to be installed within an individual dwelling unit the smoke alarms shall be interconnected in such a manner that the actuation of one alarm will activate all of the alarms in the individual unit. The alarm shall be clearly audible in all bedrooms over background noise levels with all intervening doors closed.
    All smoke alarms shall be listed and installed in accordance with the provisions of ~s code and the household fire warning equipment provisions of NFPA 72.
    Single-or multiple-station smoke alarms shall not be required when the dwelling unit is protected bv an approved smoke detection system in accordance with NFPA 72.

R317.1.1 Alterations, repairs and additions.

Where an alteration, repair or addition requiring a permit occurs, smoke alarms shall be installed within the individual dwelling unit in accordance with this section. Where one or more sleeping rooms are added or created, smoke alarms shall be installed in accordance with this section.

Exceptions:

1. Smoke alarms in existing areas shall not be recruired to be interconnected and hard wired where the alterations or repairs do not result in the removal of interior wall or ceiling. finishes exposin^ the structure.
    2. Repairs to the exterior surfaces of dwellings are exempt from the requirements of this section.
    R317.2 Power source. In new construction, the required

smoke alarms shall receive their primary power from the building wiring where such wiring is served from a commercial source, and shall be equipped with a battery backup. Wiring shall be permanent and without a disconnecting switch other than those required for overcurrent protection.
    Mike Whitt
    God answers Knee-Mail.

Remember that just because it's electrical doesn't mean it's required by the NEC.

Exit signs, emergency lights, smoke detectors, generators, parking lot lighting and such are some examples that I can think of.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyjwc
    Remember that just because it's electrical doesn't mean it's required by the NEC.

Exit signs, emergency lights, smoke detectors, generators, parking lot lighting and such are some examples that I can think of.
    Have you seen Article 450?
    ĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦ
    ««« CELTIC »»»
    ĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦ
    An error on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.8-)

Article 450 (article 701 in my book) doesn't require them it just tell you how to install them.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector