Continued Arc Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strahan

Guys I need some help. I hope this is allowed. While continuing our pursuit of arc flash training our company has decided that all our maintenance employees recieve CPR training. Well I have been recieving a lot of flack about this. Guys are complaining to put it mildly that the company cannot force them to take such training. Is there anything out there to back this up or not? Employees are also questioning whether or not they will be required to administer cpr if trained? Any help please guys?

zog

Guys I need some help. I hope this is allowed. While continuing our pursuit of arc flash training our company has decided that all our maintenance employees recieve CPR training. Well I have been recieving a lot of flack about this. Guys are complaining to put it mildly that the company cannot force them to take such training. Is there anything out there to back this up or not? Employees are also questioning whether or not they will be required to administer cpr if trained? Any help please guys?

CPR training is required training per NFPA 70E to be deemed a qualified person, OSHA also requires it if you work on energized parts unless you can meet the 4 minute rule.

They are nto required to perform CPR if trained, and if they do they are protected from lawsuits per the good samaritan laws, unless of course you are a doctor.

Strahan

CPR training is required training per NFPA 70E to be deemed a qualified person, OSHA also requires it if you work on energized parts unless you can meet the 4 minute rule.

They are nto required to perform CPR if trained, and if they do they are protected from lawsuits per the good samaritan laws, unless of course you are a doctor.

Zog, This works for me because I highly respect your knowledge in this field, but can you give me an article # or official docs supporting this? Believe me I'm dealing with some real doozies here. Feel free to e-mail me. Thanks for your help once again!!!:)

zog

Zog, This works for me because I highly respect your knowledge in this field, but can you give me an article # or official docs supporting this? Believe me I'm dealing with some real doozies here. Feel free to e-mail me. Thanks for your help once again!!!:)

I am out of the office today (Headed fishing in the mountians :)) but I will post all of the article #'s you need to reference Monday if someone does not beat me to it. Pretty easy to find if you look in the Training section of the 70E, article 110 I think?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
You may have to check with one of the CPR certifiers (i.e. American Heart Assoc) to get the correct wording on how no one can be forced to provide CPR or other assistance.

There are Good Samaritan laws, in most states, which shield people (including professionals, like doctors) from lawsuits when they are acting in 'good faith' (i.e. to the best of their knowledge) but do something wrong.

DAWGS

By your post it sounds like you are dealing with a bunch of whiners and complainers. Why would they not want to learn CPR? Sounds like they dont care to comply with any of the changes being made and are trying to buck the system any way they can.

zog

OSHA 1910.269 (b)(1) "Cardiopulmonary resuscitation and first aid training." When employees are
performing work on or associated with exposed lines or equipment energized at 50
volts or more, persons trained in first aid including cardiopulmonary resuscitation
(CPR) shall be available as follows:

(b)(1)(i) For field work involving two or more employees at a work location, at least two
trained persons shall be available. However, only one trained person need be
available if all new employees are trained in first aid, including CPR, within 3
months of their hiring dates.

(b)(1)(ii) For fixed work locations such as generating stations, the number of trained
persons available shall be sufficient to ensure that each employee exposed to
electric shock can be reached within 4 minutes by a trained person. However,
where the existing number of employees is insufficient to meet this requirement
(at a remote substation, for example), all employees at the work location shall be
trained.

By your post it sounds like you are dealing with a bunch of whiners and complainers. Why would they not want to learn CPR? Sounds like they dont care to comply with any of the changes being made and are trying to buck the system any way they can.

My question to those would be: what if YOU are struck and your heart stops beating? Would you want to wait until the ambulance arrives? I would also ask them of they have any guns at home for home defense or if they have a CCL?

Strahan

You hit the nail on the head!! Absolutley these guys buck the system no matter what and it seems to be more prevalent with the 2nd shift employees. Its not enough we have to deal with the changes but also have to deal with these type of guys. Thanks to everyone who responded it is a huge benefit having this site to count on:):):)

dpeter

Occupation
elevator mechanic / building maintenance
I just cannot understand some one turning down training of any kind. Use it or don't, it's up to you. I picture a scenareo where a loved one needs help and you are powerless to help because of your (explicatives) decision to not be trained. Seems to be a short sighted and foolish group.
Good luck getting them trained.

kwired

Electron manager

My question to those would be: what if YOU are struck and your heart stops beating? Would you want to wait until the ambulance arrives? I would also ask them of they have any guns at home for home defense or if they have a CCL?

You hit the nail on the head!! Absolutley these guys buck the system no matter what and it seems to be more prevalent with the 2nd shift employees. Its not enough we have to deal with the changes but also have to deal with these type of guys. Thanks to everyone who responded it is a huge benefit having this site to count on:):):)

I just cannot understand some one turning down training of any kind. Use it or don't, it's up to you. I picture a scenareo where a loved one needs help and you are powerless to help because of your (explicatives) decision to not be trained. Seems to be a short sighted and foolish group.
Good luck getting them trained.

I agree with all - not only may the training come in useful at work but also at home, or anywhere. Zog mentioned fishing in the mountains, should an incident happen where this type of type of training is needed it could easily save a life, an ambulance likely will not get there soon enough to do any good if nothing is done. Tell anyone that does not want to help someone else if the need arises that they need an ID tag that somehow states they are not to be helped if they are the vicitm, I bet someone helps them regardless of the tag.

zog

I agree with all - not only may the training come in useful at work but also at home, or anywhere. Zog mentioned fishing in the mountains, should an incident happen where this type of type of training is needed it could easily save a life, an ambulance likely will not get there soon enough to do any good if nothing is done. Tell anyone that does not want to help someone else if the need arises that they need an ID tag that somehow states they are not to be helped if they are the vicitm, I bet someone helps them regardless of the tag.

Everyone on that trip had CPR certification, good thing because we got winded hauling 44 monster trout back to the lodge :)

Status
Not open for further replies.