Lets see - what code section(s) could this be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael15956

don_resqcapt19 said:
Pierre,

It doesn't appear that would be permitted by 314.23, but I have never seen any other support used for a box in a masonry surface.
Don

314.23(G),Enclosures in Concrete or Masonry "An enclosure supported by embedment shall be identified as suitably protected from corrosion and securely embedded in concrete or masonry."

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Michael,
314.23(G),Enclosures in Concrete or Masonry "An enclosure supported by embedment shall be identified as suitably protected from corrosion and securely embedded in concrete or masonry."
One of the problems with using the handbook on the computer...sometimes when I come to the comment section, I don't scroll down.
Don

Michael15956

don_resqcapt19 said:
Michael,

One of the problems with using the handbook on the computer...sometimes when I come to the comment section, I don't scroll down.
Don

No problem Sir, I really respect your intelligent.

mdshunk

Pierre C Belarge said:
Did you notice the first picture? The contractor supported the box to wood that has been support to another piece of 2 x 4 - which I believe is supported to a wall stud.
Doesn't the buildnig code have a general requirement that any wood in contact with masonry be pressure treated?

tallguy

mdshunk said:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky
..., and 2 NM cables under one connector, though I'd let that slide.
You'd have to. I don't think there are any on the market now that aren't so rated.
It's moot because the NM shouldn't be there in the first place, but Halex 3/8" are rated for two 14/2s but only one 12/2.

tallguy said:
It's moot because the NM shouldn't be there in the first place, but Halex 3/8" are rated for two 14/2s but only one 12/2.

Do you install a box on the exterior wall of a wood framed house to supply an outside light fixture, using NM cable? Or do you supply those light fixtures with UF cable?

stickboy1375

Pierre C Belarge said:
Do you install a box on the exterior wall of a wood framed house to supply an outside light fixture, using NM cable? Or do you supply those light fixtures with UF cable?

I was wondering myself were Tallguy was going with that comment...

tallguy

Pierre C Belarge said:
NM, but I can see an argument against that.
stickboy1375 said:
I was wondering myself were Tallguy was going with that comment...
I was referring to this pic, not the first one, since it is the only one with two pieces of NM on it:
View attachment 874
cschmid said:
#2 & #3 lets see nm exposed to moist conditions even inside of conduit.
LawnGuyLandSparky said:
NM cable in wet location.
I'm with LawnGuy and cschmid.
ryan_618 said:
...the NM cable is a violation in pictures 2 and 3.
Oh yeah, and Ryan too.

Maybe I've been caught up in all this "interior of a wet enclosure/raceway in a wet location is considered wet as well" talk we've had recently? Doesn't look like a dry location to me, therefore no NM. To my eye this is different than Pierre's scenario listed above...

stickboy1375

tallguy said:
Maybe I've been caught up in all this "interior of a wet enclosure/raceway in a wet location is considered wet as well" talk we've had recently? Doesn't look like a dry location to me, therefore no NM. To my eye this is different than Pierre's scenario listed above...

So are you calling the interior of your walls a wet location?

cschmid

with the box in concrete and on the exterior wall it will sweet with temp changes and it wont care if it is rated for the use..so the paper wrap will definitely take on moisture over time..whether it does any damage in a reasonable period of time is the question? Has anyone ever tested it to see how long it takes for nm exposed to the weather to deteriorate?

ZZZ

Lets see

Lets see

1. No connector
3. Wrong ground screw, not w.p. box
2. I don't know, is that a metal connector?
Liquidtight in concrete? That does look like a crack now that you mention it.
nonmetallic bushing where cable enters conduit?

Last edited:

LawnGuyLandSparky

cschmid said:
with the box in concrete and on the exterior wall it will sweet with temp changes and it wont care if it is rated for the use..so the paper wrap will definitely take on moisture over time..whether it does any damage in a reasonable period of time is the question? Has anyone ever tested it to see how long it takes for nm exposed to the weather to deteriorate?

I haven't, but a neighbor up the block put about a dozen pagoda lights in a short masonary wall around the perimeter of the backyard using 12/2 NM. Back around '85 or '86 and they're still working. (Direct buried the NM) Don't know if the install is GFCI protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.