Power tools question

Status
Not open for further replies.

danickstr

If I want to support a US company with a power tool purchase, which one would I use? I need a new cordless drill, for example.

mdshunk

I'm not so sure that there are any US companies making power tools anymore. Milwaukee is owned by Ryobi now. Panasonic and AEG both get high marks in the cordless category, but they're both foreign owned too.

ItsHot

sad sitiuation

sad sitiuation

This is something I have not thought about! I think Ryobi is manufactured in USA( anderson sc. ???) I purchased some Romex this week and was glad to see it was still made in the USA!!!

mdshunk

cadpoint said:
I've heard dewalt was owned by Black & Decker, urban myth ?
Yeah, that's true, but who owns Black and Decker?

There were some red steel guys complaining to me the other day that they like Ingersoll-Rand bolt guns, but now they're aparently owned by Volvo?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
mdshunk said:
Yeah, that's true, but who owns Black and Decker?

There were some red steel guys complaining to me the other day that they like Ingersoll-Rand bolt guns, but now they're aparently owned by Volvo?

Yeah but Ford owns Volvo.

ItsHot

brief search?

brief search?

I just did a brief search. Vermont American owns Bosch, and Black and Decker(Dewalt??) is in Townson MD.. Did you know that Toyota and Nissan are american made cars?? " made" being the trick word!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
ItsHot said:
I just did a brief search. Vermont American owns Bosch, and Black and Decker(Dewalt??) is in Townson MD.. Did you know that Toyota and Nissan are american made cars?? " made" being the trick word!

I thought the body of the cars were made in america and the engines were made in Japan or at least by Nissan and Toyota.

The Nissan Quest and the Mercury Villager at one time and perhaps still were almost identical vehicles. Chrysler made the bodies for both vehicles while Nissan made the engine for both.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The obvious point to this whole question is that everyone seems to be involved overseas. Even if it is an American company many of the parts come from overseas or they have some connection in the overseas market.

wbalsam1

LawnGuyLandSparky said:
And now, many Harley parts are made overseas, and only assembled in America.

Global thinking, global economy, global trade, global warming, global schmobel.........I want my Harley to be 100% made in the USA.:cool:

JES2727

Makita has a manufacturing facility in Buford, Georgia. I don't know how much of their stuff is made there. I would assume they have other manufacturing facilities overseas.
Porter-Cable has a manufacturing facility in Jackson ,Tennessee.
I bought a Milwaukee hammer drill last year. I foolishly assumed it was made in the USA. I was dismayed to read on the nameplate "Made in Czechoslavakia" !
Thanks for bringing this topic up, I think it's important.....

mdshunk

JES2727 said:
I bought a Milwaukee hammer drill last year. I foolishly assumed it was made in the USA. I was dismayed to read on the nameplate "Made in Czechoslavakia" !
Wow, that tool must have been in stock for some time at the dealer. After January 1, 1993, Czechoslavakia was no longer the name of any country.

danickstr

ridgid is mostly made overseas from what i have seen as well...thought it was American...

I like Makita drills alot, and would be happy to support us made japan co, at least better than going with a china made model.

JES2727

mdshunk said:
Wow, that tool must have been in stock for some time at the dealer. After January 1, 1993, Czechoslavakia was no longer the name of any country.

OK, maybe it says "Czech Republic". I'll take a look at it tomorrow.

celtic

ItsHot said:
Where is Old Milwaukee made these days?
Still kicking...
52002s.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.