Safe cracking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Alright, maybe it's just core drilling an old bank vault. Need to put a new service on an old bank building. Water line is in what used to be the vault and some years ago converted to a restroom. Is core drilling this going to take more than 1 day? About 18" of concrete plus embedded goodies. Probably a 2" hole.

drive1968

It took a professional core drilling company about two hours to drill a 12" wide hole into a local bank's vault that is 18" thick. There was a kid locked inside a time-activated vault. An experienced driller could make a 2" hole in about twenty minutes with the proper diamond bit.

Last edited:

billsnuff

Maybe these guys can help ?

Maybe these guys can help ?

Butch-Cassidy-Sundance_400.jpg

Sorry, it's Friday, I'm bein' silly.....:D

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I would put in about 4 hrs which should more than cover it if you have the right tools and people who know how to use them. If you don't have experience using core drills make it 6 hrs or use a core drilling company as drive1968 mentions, they will knock it out and be gone in a couple of hours.

Roger

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I'd hire it out. I've heard professional core drillers complain about rebar breaking loose and twisting beside the core bit jamming it up when the hole is drilled in just the right spot. I'd bet a bank vault has quite a bit of rebar...

I think they said it'd take them a day to get their bit unstuck sometimes.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I'd hire it out. I've heard professional core drillers complain about rebar breaking loose and twisting beside the core bit jamming it up when the hole is drilled in just the right spot. I'd bet a bank vault has quite a bit of rebar...

You guys need to look at my location. I will be lucky to have a 2" core drill in the area, if I give them a few days notice.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
You guys need to look at my location. I will be lucky to have a 2" core drill in the area, if I give them a few days notice.

That's a bummer. I didn't know living in Nebraska meant living in the boonies!:D

Do you have much for electrical supply houses around there or do you have to order everything in?

Smart $

Esteemed Member

Hitting rebar can extend the drilling time considerably, even without burning up the bit from excessive pressure, or getting it jammed with loose rebar.

For 18" thick concrete and the likelihood of rebar, probably wise to scope the location prior to drilling... all the more reason to sub it out.

mivey

You can always make a trip to rent the correct equipment. It seems to me that it would not be too much different than hiring it done. We found it to be better to rent the expert along with the equipment. Of course, the experts were never more than 2 hours away for us. I'll have to visit NE sometime.

kwired

Electron manager
You can always make a trip to rent the correct equipment. It seems to me that it would not be too much different than hiring it done. We found it to be better to rent the expert along with the equipment. Of course, the experts were never more than 2 hours away for us. I'll have to visit NE sometime.

All the signs along the borders state that Nebraska is "The good life State". There is a little good life for everyone - there are cities and there are boonies, and there are areas in between.

BJ Conner

Contractors.

Contractors.

There are two nuke plants in Nebraska. Core drilling allways seem to be going on in shutdown work. Somewhere around there are core drilling contractors who can drill thick walls with up to # 18 rebar.
A bank vault would be easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.