NFPA 72 strobe height

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Ryan, becareful of ADA or similar standards that may be more restrictive.

4.28.3* Visual Alarms. Visual alarm signal appliances shall be integrated into the building or facility alarm system. If single station audible alarms are provided then single station visual alarm signals shall be provided. Visual alarm signals shall have the following minimum photometric and location features:

(6) The appliance shall be placed 80 in (2030 mm) above the highest floor level within the space or 6 in (152 mm) below the ceiling, whichever is lower.

Roger

ryan_618

roger said:
Ryan, becareful of ADA or similar standards that may be more restrictive.

Thats actually what got me into the 72 in the first place. The same rule used to be in the ANSI/ICC A117.1 for accessibility. My state (and several others) adopts it as the standard for access. In the newest edition, however, they removed this provision and replaced it with a simple "refer to NFPA 72" statement.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The 80" or 6" below rules seems to be standard in commercial occupancies. I always ask, is it 80" to the top, center or bottom of the device? No one has ever provided me with a concrete answer. My guess is that buried somewhere within NFPA72 is a note that states how dimensional rules are applied. Does anyone know for sure?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Ryan and Trevor, NC uses the NFPA 72 rule and also allows ceiling mounted strobes.

Roger

Infinity :

I was well aware with the strobe lights appaction majorty of them mounted 80 " AAF which it pretty common but when you get to the open space like warehouse or large centre they will mount the stobelight above 80" but there is a addtional twist but i am not sure if other did catch this or not.

the instenty of the strobelight are pretty well defined in the NFPA most go with 80 + instenty level.

[ just let you know that i am almost total deaf so i should know this verison but this what i know so far but some state code can change as well ]

Merci, Marc

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
roger said:
Ryan and Trevor, NC uses the NFPA 72 rule and also allows ceiling mounted strobes.
Roger
I could use this on a project I'm working on now. I didn't know there was wiggle room. Is this in 72?

And what about horns? Any wiggle room there?

Status
Not open for further replies.