commercial requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

elecmen

Occupation
Electrician
Hi,What is the code for receptacle spacing and placement in commercial occupancies? I looked in article 210 and all I see is for residential.Looking to wire office and bathroom(toilet and sink only) in a commercial garage.Does the bathroom need dedicated 20A circuit and GFCI receptacle within 30" of sink like residential?If someone could enlighten me please. Thanks

kfenn22

You are not required to have a recpt in a bathroom for commercial use.
If you do put one in they have to be GFI. per article 210.8(B)(1)

360Youth

Keep checking 210 and 220 for "other than dwelling units." In residential there is no limit to # of recept on a circuit, "other than dwellings" you get in required va per recept calculations that defines your circuit limitations. Make sure you check for GFCI protection for personell to tell you where you need installs.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The answer is no. A commercial bathroom does not require any receptacles. As far as everywhere else in a commercial occupancy, you can put the receptacles wherever they are needed. There are no spacing requirements except maybe for show windows.

BLUEDEVIL

there is no spacing requirements for receptacles in commercial use....for bathroom/restroom it is not required but if you provide it needs to be GFCI protected

elecmen

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks for the replies. They do want a receptacle in the restroom. Does it have to be on its own circuit or can the light and receptacle be on the same circuit? Thanks

raider1

Staff member
The receptacle in a commercial bathroom can be on a circuit with the lights.

210.11(C)(3) only applys to dwelling units.

Chris

romeo

commercial requirements

Rewire said:
Does the exception also allow for this in residential?
I believe only if all of the bathroom is on a 20amp circuit and the circuit does not leave the room

480sparky

romeo said:
I believe only if all of the bathroom is on a 20amp circuit and the circuit does not leave the room

The 20a bath circuit feeds only the recep(s). You can take it to other bathrooms, but only to the receps in the bathroom. It doesn't mean that everything has to be fed by the bath circuit. The vanity light, fart fans and the like can still be on another circuit.

The exception means that IF you use the 20a bath circuit to feed something else in the SAME bathroom, such as a heat-fan or heat-lamps, it cannot leave that bathroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.