extending grounds required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
I have to move a load panel about 6 feet. It's all NM. I want run the NM into a large JB and run conduit from the JB to the new panel with individual conductors. I also want to connect all the current grounds to a bus bar and just run one ground (equal to the largest of the EGCs in the old panel) to the new location. The way I want to extend the grounds...is this compliant?

Thank you.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
raider1 said:
Yes, take a look at 250.122(C).

Chris

Very good. Let me ask this. If I have two or three coduits from that large JB to my new panel do I need to have an EGC in each conduit? Or just one EGC in one of the conduits that is sized for the largest circuit.

edited to devulge conduit is LFNC-B

Last edited:

bphgravity

Twoskinsoneman said:
Very good. Let me ask this. If I have two or three coduits from that large JB to my new panel do I need to have an EGC in each conduit? Or just one EGC in one of the conduits that is sized for the largest circuit.

See 300.3(B) of the NEC...

raider1

Staff member
Twoskinsoneman said:

edited to devulge conduit is LFNC-B

As Bryan pointed out 300.3(B) will require that you run an EGC in each conduit.

Chris

tallguy

raider1 said:
As Bryan pointed out 300.3(B) will require that you run an EGC in each conduit.

Chris
How about 250.102(E) -- or is that stretching the definition of "equipment" too far?

raider1

Staff member
tallguy said:
How about 250.102(E) -- or is that stretching the definition of "equipment" too far?

I don't think that the OP is talking about an equipment bonding jumper. What the OP has, is an extention of the EGC of the circuits from the old panel. 300.3(B) requires that the EGC for the circuits to be run in the same conduit or cable with the rest of the circuits conductors.

Chris

tallguy

raider1 said:
I don't think that the OP is talking about an equipment bonding jumper. What the OP has, is an extention of the EGC of the circuits from the old panel. 300.3(B) requires that the EGC for the circuits to be run in the same conduit or cable with the rest of the circuits conductors.

Chris
Understood. And there's an exception under 300.3(B)(2) for EBCs bonded as per 200.152(E)...

So I took a little cruise around Article 100, saw that "Equipment" is "a general term including..." Hmmmmm... Maybe that old panel could be considered "equipment". I know it's a stretch, it just got the wheels turning here.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
infinity said:
Have you considered any derating issues with only two or three raceways?

Thanks for the mention. I certainly considered it. I don't have my instructions for the techs in front of me but I'm pretty sure it was 3 circuits per 1/2" conduit (all 15 or 20 amp circuits) 6 CCC, all THWN derated 80% still allowing 14awg for 15amp 12 awg for 20 amp. One EGC equal to the largest conductor in he conduit. These seven wires meet conduit fill. (By the way the reason on 2 or 3 raceways is because this is basically an RV that we are turning into a sheriff's dept mobile command center :grin:.

Watch out they are watching!:grin:

the 2 or 3 raceways are just the extended original circuits. All of our added circuits will be run to the new panel of course

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.