Warning - Defective GFI receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've never been one to bash a company for it's products (be it design or function) here in the forum but I feel obligated to speak my piece here about GFI receptacles I've purchased from RT Electrical Distributors in Orlando, FL. I recently had an experience with several of their 8100-WH GFI receptacles where eirher one or both receptacle ports would not put out any voltage. In some cases the GFI feature would merely buzz and not trip. In the last batch I had on my truck 6 out of 10 were defective. I made RT Electrical distributors aware of the problem and they had me ship back 4 of these receptacles at my expense. I've been playing phone tag with them now for about 3 weeks where they claim they never received the defective products from me yet I was able to produce documentation showing receipt of the package. They are now in a mode where they will not even return my phone calls.

Long story, short, this is a life safety issue and not a money issue. I've gotten past getting beat for several hundred bucks but I can't help but think about the 50 or 75 units that I have in the field that may not function properly. The other thing that irks me is that RT Electrical Distributors are obviously not standing behind their product. So, it seems clear that this is not only a case of "buyer beware" but could also be a case of "electrical contractor we're suing you for installing defective material". Please, don't let the lure of GFI receptacles for $6.00 allow you to make the mistake I've made. Make sure you know what you're buying and who you're dealing with before you make your purchase.

dezwitinc

Amen.
The junk that comes through in mailers and the internet has surely lured many people into thinking that they are making a bigger margin.
There is an old adage that holds up - "You get what you pay for!"
I made the mistake several years ago of purchasing the $1.50 baffle trims for some recessed lighting.
They were white when I installed them and they were banana yellow when I pulled them out (at my expense and to clear my conscience).
Unfortunately, alot of this stuff is starting to show up in supply houses under the guise of "branded merchandise".
We recently purchased a case of PVC connectors and a like number of locknuts.
Not one single locknut and connector have matched up yet!
But I saved $35.00 unless you take into consideration all the down time and gas we have wasted getting Carlon fittings and Bridgeport locknuts to replace the house brands.
This issue of branded merchandise was recently addressed in ECM I believe and the majority of electricians said they would favor it if they saved money.
I for one want my PVC and other electrical equipment to be American made whenever possible.
My rant for the day. Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited:

mdshunk

The Consumer Products Safety Commission is interested in stories like yours. Perhaps you should take that route now? It's pretty easy to report bad product to them. You'll want to use the quick online form for a business reporting a bad product, rather than a consumer reporting a bad product. It gets better results:

https://www.cpsc.gov/cgibin/sec15.aspx

peter d

I received one of those RT fliers and after reviewing it and holding on to it for a few days, I put it in the round file. As I've mentioned before, I only buy Ideal products - I'm not going to buy a bag of no-name wirenuts just because they're a lot cheaper.

Also, Sunstar Lighting (I wonder if they're affiliated with the RT outfit as their merchandise appears to be identical) has similar low quality junk.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
dezwitinc said:
I for one want my PVC and other electrical equipment to be American made whenever possible.

I think carlon and cantex are both made in Canada. I don't know of any PVC products that I use as being made in the U.S.

peter d

chris kennedy said:
I think carlon and cantex are both made in Canada. I don't know of any PVC products that I use as being made in the U.S.

I'm fairly certain that both Carlon and Cantex pipe and fittings are American made. Ipex and Scepter are from Canada for sure (it's marked right on their stuff)

dezwitinc

Okay Chris,
I give credit to our Canadian brothers for quality PVC, beer, and funny winter hats then.
None of which the Chinese can produce with any superiority.

Last edited:

chris kennedy

Occupation
dezwitinc said:
Okay Chris,
I give credit to our Canadian brothers for quality PVC, beer, and funny winter hats.
None of which the Chinese can produce with any superiority.

Have you tried Tsingtao?

dwellselectric

Inactive, Email Never Verified
How interesting I have noticed that the new P&S GFCI's wont trip either!!! Try it if you install one try to trip in you can't! I thought it was just the GFCI that I had installed but no its every GFCI!

mdshunk

dSilanskas said:
How interesting I have noticed that the new P&S GFCI's wont trip either!!! Try it if you install one try to trip in you can't! I thought it was just the GFCI that I had installed but no its every GFCI!
??? That's my brand, and the new generation of GFCI's have been out for months and months now. I have noticed zero problems among the one's that I use.

Last edited:

chris kennedy

Occupation
mdshunk said:
I wonder if it lists the lead content on the label, right under the alcohol percent?

Very clever Marc. But it's great for washing down that nasty mercury in the sushi.

tallguy

dSilanskas said:
Maybe they are upside down? :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.