Schedule 80 pvc usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendrix

I refuse to work that far out of town even if getting travel time LOL
Seriously almost any install is subject to dmage of some kind. Even rigid steel can be damaged. Ever seen a bent riser ? A tree can damage them fast.
I would say this is pretty much up to the inspector. Are cars likely to hit it ?
That is really what I was saying, but to say that something is unworkman like and fail it would be, IMHO, a tough call.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Just so we're all still on the same page, basically Sched 80 PVC can be used anywhere RMC is used.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
That does not deal with things like reduntant grounds or risers for service.

I, don't know what redundant ground you're refering to but as far as risers for a service, sure sched 80 PVC can be used for this.

Let's walk through this.

Article 352.6 says:

352.6 Listing Requirements.
PVC conduit, factory elbows, and associated fittings shall be listed.
It is listed and I posted the pertainent UL listing information in post #4

Then we go to 352.10(F) which says:

(F) Exposed. PVC conduit shall be permitted for exposed work. PVC conduit used exposed in areas of physical damage shall be identified for the use.
Once again, that would be in the listing information.

FPN: PVC Conduit, Type Schedule 80, is identified for areas of physical damage.
Per the UL listing.

So, yes schedule 80 can be used for risers.

Roger

Jim W in Tampa

Jim, you are not really saying that PVC can't be used for a service are you? :confused::confused:

No not saying that at all but if its needed for the POA you have a problem with most POCO
If doing a medical building in areas requiring redundant ground you have problems.
I am all for using PVC 40 and 80 where we can but can not say sch 80 replaces rigid for everything.

iwire

Staff member
No not saying that at all but if its needed for the POA you have a problem with most POCO.

The NEC prohibits using PVC as a mast, so do most if not all power companies.

But a riser is not a mast, it is just a riser and does not support anything.

If doing a medical building in areas requiring redundant ground you have problems.

Well yes .......... I also cannot use it in a place of assembly.

I am all for using PVC 40 and 80 where we can but can not say sch 80 replaces rigid for everything.

OK, but there is no place that PVC 80 cannot be used because of worries about physical damage. Which IMO has been the point of the thread.

Jim W in Tampa

The NEC prohibits using PVC as a mast, so do most if not all power companies.

But a riser is not a mast, it is just a riser and does not support anything.

Well yes .......... I also cannot use it in a place of assembly.

OK, but there is no place that PVC 80 cannot be used because of worries about physical damage. Which IMO has been the point of the thread.

OK agreed as long as only looking at physical damage but are other issues that prohibit its use like in plenums. Maybe i was reading it wrong.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I refuse to work that far out of town even if getting travel time LOL
Seriously almost any install is subject to dmage of some kind. Even rigid steel can be damaged. Ever seen a bent riser ? A tree can damage them fast.
I would say this is pretty much up to the inspector. Are cars likely to hit it ?

Wow Jim, it's like you were visited by three ghosts. You and I are starting to agree more and more.:grin:

Merry Christmas!

Food for thought...when attaching a sch 80 pipe to a standard PVC coupling or box connector the smaller I'd of the sch 80 will create a lip which could potentially hang a normally smooth wire pull...;)

Jim W in Tampa

Food for thought...when attaching a sch 80 pipe to a standard PVC coupling or box connector the smaller I'd of the sch 80 will create a lip which could potentially hang a normally smooth wire pull...;)

Could but if deburred not likely. Make a tapered head taped correctly and usually no problems. Make a fast sloppy one cause its only 30 feet and you have problems.

Thanks Roger! I will go with the PVC. However, with the problem of the inside diameter of the pipe I will change it to Schedule 40 to insure wire fill requirements. Thanks again! Rick

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I saw some pictures from Carlon, several years ago, that showed the damage to RGS when a weight was dropped on it from a given height and then the same done to SCH 80. The amazing thing is SCH 80 has a tendency to "rebound" and not do as much damage to the conductors inside it. Where as the RGS collapsed and did more damage to the conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.