Inspector Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRIS HILL

Mike, Im A First Timer On This Site And I Need Help With Talking To An Inspecter Actualy A " Building Official. Im Wirring A Shooting Range And Store. The Inpector Tells Me I Cant Run Pvc But Wont Give Me A Reason Wy . I Was Told I Had To Prove I Can Use It . This Is Not A Place Of Gathering Its Rated At 51 People.im Faxing The Uses Permited Section On Pvc. Ive Had Problems In This Town When It Comes To Code And Have Had To Call The State Inpector Many Times . There Must Be Another Way.the Diferance In Pvc To Emt Will Cost Many Thousands. This Is The Only Town I Ever Have Problems With. Thanks Kris Hill

No inspector is above the law. With that said, you have a couple of choices.
1. Speak to the inspector personally. If that is not possible..
2. Speak to the inspector's superior. Let him/her know you have had enough and that you are willing to persue another course of action.
If you have been and are correct, you do not have to put up with an arrogant person who is not intelligent enough to understand his/her position. Some inspectors (for some reason I just cannot understand) think the position provides them with the right to bash people.

ON the other hand, there are still a lot of very good inspectors who are willing to help contractors. If you can, seek out one in your area and see if the problem can be straightened out through that individual.
Good luck!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would follow Pierre's advice. Welcome to the forum, and for those of us with older eyes please try to limit the use of capital letters. It just makes your post harder to read.

wbalsam1

KRIS HILL said:
Mike, Im A First Timer On This Site And I Need Help With Talking To An Inspecter Actualy A " Building Official. Im Wirring A Shooting Range And Store. The Inpector Tells Me I Cant Run Pvc But Wont Give Me A Reason Wy . I Was Told I Had To Prove I Can Use It . This Is Not A Place Of Gathering Its Rated At 51 People.im Faxing The Uses Permited Section On Pvc. Ive Had Problems In This Town When It Comes To Code And Have Had To Call The State Inpector Many Times . There Must Be Another Way.the Diferance In Pvc To Emt Will Cost Many Thousands. This Is The Only Town I Ever Have Problems With. Thanks Kris Hill

What state are you working in? :smile:

ItsHot

work it out

work it out

Hey Kris! welcome, you are at a great forum! "Remain calm" and work it out. We have all dealt with "hard to deal with" inspectors" See my recent thread on wiring methods for greenhouses.(pvc/emt). Good luck!!

romeo

Inspector Help

KRIS HILL said:

It is nice to be able to show an inspector,why you can use it ,but in reality it is up to him to show you why you can't use it,by giving you the code section that is being violated. I always make sure that I have a code section ready when I red tag.Sounds to me that you are dealing with a not in my town kind of inspector,don't let him get away with it. Good luck.

Energize

What state are you working in? :smile:

LarryFine said:
Sounds like frustration to me. :grin:

I cannot believe your reply has been posted for over two hours now and not a single person commented on your clever response! (State of frustration) When the writer's strike is over, you should give it a shot - maybe you are missing your calling!:grin:

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Energize said:
I cannot believe your reply has been posted for over two hours now and not a single person commented on your clever response! (State of frustration) When the writer's strike is over, you should give it a shot - maybe you are missing your calling!:grin:

Larry B. Fine
Master Electrician
Richmond, VA

This Forums Most Censored Member (and proud of it!)

That should work out well. Mabey on cable?

electricmanscott

Energize said:

Why wait ill the strike is over?? They could use some writers now. Get in while the gettins good, that's what I say!

wbalsam1

KRIS HILL said:
.... Im Wirring A Shooting Range And Store. The Inpector Tells Me I Cant Run Pvc But Wont Give Me A Reason Wy . I Was Told I Had To Prove I Can Use It . This Is Not A Place Of Gathering Its Rated At 51 People.
These two occupancies are not within the same building, are they? :smile: Around here, if you take a rifle into a store.......well, it's not a good idea...lol

Last edited:

wbalsam1

Energize said:

Please don't encourage him....:grin:

torcho

Extra Cost

Extra Cost

KRIS HILL said:

I don't do many commercial jobs, but I am curious why the EMT is so much more? It requires less frequent support, less fittings and possibly fewer conductors (in lieu of the EMT being an equipment grounding conductor.) I don't mind PVC but I actually like EMT more due to the way it looks and not needing any fancy tools like heaters and the such to install...assuming you can use 3/4 for the majority of the runs. What does everyone else think?

PVC or not to PVC?

PVC or not to PVC?

Check out 2005 NEC Articles 352.10 and 352.12. This assumes your AHJ is using the 2005 Code (DUH). I don't know where you want to run your PVC, it may be one of the "Uses Not Permitted" in 352.12. Also I suggest getting a Code cite (or AHJ ordinance, etc.) from the inspector. Don't be shy about going over his head either, if you get stonewalled without a reason for the refusal to pass on your installation. Good luck!

dcspector

Energize said:

I have noticed several of Larry's posts in the past had a clever little additive that I missed as well.

coulter

wbalsam1 said:
...Around here, if you take a rifle into a store.......well, it's not a good idea...
Let's see if I understand: Walking into a store that is part of a shooting range (and likely a sporting goods/gun shop), with a rifle, is considered a social/cultural no-no.

If so, that is one strange country you live in.

Where I live, owning, carrying, using, firearms responsibily is considered a duty, not a right.

carl

wbalsam1

coulter said:
Let's see if I understand: Walking into a store that is part of a shooting range (and likely a sporting goods/gun shop), with a rifle, is considered a social/cultural no-no.

If so, that is one strange country you live in.

Where I live, owning, carrying, using, firearms responsibily is considered a duty, not a right.

carl

In your great haste to "snap" at me, you missed my "lol". (laugh out loud) means I was kidding. Get it? ha ha, stuff like that.:grin:

I'm an avid deer hunter and I live out in the country and our ranges around here are outside and not a part of a building. The 1st part of my question in the earlier post had to do with required fire separations and I was going to direct the conversation toward wiring methods in FRR's, but opted to be humorous instead. My bad, obviously.

Where I live "owning" is not a duty.

brian john

There were gun clubs in our local high schools, not sure when they ended the clubs. But when you tell the newbies, that have turned our rural town into suburbia, they (many) FREAK OUT. Boys would have a rifle hanging from the gun rack in their pick up truck.

wbalsam1

brian john said:
There were gun clubs in our local high schools, not sure when they ended the clubs. But when you tell the newbies, that have turned our rural town into suburbia, they (many) FREAK OUT. Boys would have a rifle hanging from the gun rack in their pick up truck.

We had a rifle range in the basement of our K-12 school when I was a boy and I was an active member of the school team. Nothing else was permitted in the basement and all wiring was done in rigid conduit and barricades were in place all over the sides. Only 22's were allowed. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.