Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Receptacle wall spacing

Receptacle wall spacing

First, let me say, I'm sorry that I have not had the chance to look this up recently (my codebook is not always in front of me), but I was told by an inspector recently that, when it came to wall spacing receptacles in a res., ent. center cabinets in, say, a living room would be considered wall space and, as such, would require a floor outlet withinin 18" in front of any doors that fall within the "no point of the wall...6' from a recept." I was rethinking the situation with new projects coming up so I thought I would ask.

I think if you write your question agian, explaining just what the situation is,

you will get more answers. Frankly I don't follow the res,ent,center cabinet,

18" from doors? I'm not picking on you, I just don't get it.
    Frank Arizona,USA

Personally, I disagree with this inspector, but it also looks like it is open to interpritation. If he considers the space in front of an entertainment center "wall space", you need an outlet. I wouldn't consider it wall space myself. Most of the ones I see have doors on the bottom, so you couldn't set anything there anyway.
    John from Baltimore
    "One Day at a Time"
    Responses based on the 2008 NEC

If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos...then you probably haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation

I think the idea is that if the EC covers the most of the wall height, then you should meet the spacing requirements by placing receptacles in the open shelf space above. Although, I have on occasion been asked to place them in the lower cabinets for A/V equipment. In this case, I rough the wires in behind the unit and make close note of the locations. After the unit is installed I use a jigsaw to cut holes for OW boxes and hook-em up.

Mark

I get alot of rooms with built in book shelves and they always require me to have receptacles, I generally install them in the toe kick. But remember you can easily have a receptacle up to 5 1/2 ft. above the floor and still count as the requirement...
    "Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking."

IMO an entertainment center is not a wall therefore the requirement for a receptacle(s) doesn't exist.
    Rob

Chief Moderator

All responses based on the 2011 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity
    IMO an entertainment center is not a wall therefore the requirement for a receptacle(s) doesn't exist.
    If its fastened in place its part of the wall space. (IMO)
    "Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking."

Quote Originally Posted by 360Youth
    (my codebook is not always in front of me)
    Why not?
    [Online Access to National Electrical Code® Softbound 2005 Edition (NFPA 70)]

Check 210.52(A)(2)

If this ent. center is not a "built in" unit - the space behind it is simply a wall.
    ĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦ
    ««« CELTIC »»»
    ĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦ
    An error on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.8-)

Quote Originally Posted by infinity
    If it is a part-of-the-structure type, I agree. If it is not, put the recpt in the wall, not the floor. Plugging anything into a floor receptacle in front of an e.c. would create a tripping hazard. Sheer common sense says no-one would want a floor receptacle in front of their e.c.!!!

Quote Originally Posted by benaround

I think if you write your question agian, explaining just what the situation is,

you will get more answers. Frankly I don't follow the res,ent,center cabinet,

18" from doors? I'm not picking on you, I just don't get it.
    I'll try and cut back on the abreviations next time. Sorry.

The inspector seemed to be under the assumption that the doors to the permanently installed entertainment center are considered wall space and therfore required outlets in the floor, within 18", since they obviously could not go in the doors, and behind the doors in the back of the cabinet for electronics did not meet the requirement, nor did the recept I had installed above the countertops of the entertainment center at 44" AFF. I could not argue the point at the time. She may have said it would be a future requirement, 'cause she let it go. That is one that has always perplexed me. Of course, she also made me put a receptacle on a 25" wall in a bedroom behind a 34" door. Code calls for it, but...:rolleyes: