What kind of work van should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhalleron

I'm sure this has been talked about, but I'll ask again.

I only do electric work as a part time business right now and work out of my pickup truck. It's really a pain, but it gets me by for now.

Maybe next year or sooner if this ever becomes full time I will need a better work truck.

Which type of truck is best for mostly residential old work and light commercial? I've always worked out of a smaller van like the one in picture two in the past at other jobs, but I don't really like them. I think I might prefer one I can stand up taller in while looking for stuff, or one with doors on the outside to get to certain stuff quicker. But I'm not really settled on one. I think a bigger truck might be more difficult to park in certain places, but I could get used to it.

Which ones do you like and why and is there a better choice?

I can't figure out how to paste the pictures directly into this post for some reason.

http://picasaweb.google.com/DRHalleron/ElectricTrucks?feat=directlink

hardworkingstiff

I've always concerned myself with payload. IMO, the best payload bang for the buck is the 1-ton extended cargo van (I prefer the GM product, just a personal preference).

I have mine set up where I very seldom get in. I have drawers that pull out on the side and back with a conduit bin in the back too. Shelves on the sides (both).

It works for me and I can get a lot of stuff in there and don't have to climb in/out for most of it.

IMO, the worst thing you can do is to get a half-ton and load it up. You won't have the breaks or suspension to properly carry the weight.

You really lose a lot of payload with those tall fiberglass or steel bodies. If you don't get the tandem rear wheels, you will lose a lot of payload and with the tandem wheels you lose fuel mileage.

masterinbama

Up until you mentioned parking trouble I was going to say until you go completely full time I would get an enclosed trailer. That's what I did. That way you don't have to drag all of your stuff every where you go exposing your tools to theft.

Now that I have gone to not working in the field everyday. I turned my full work truck over to a guy I hired and went back to my trailer.

220/221

If you're gonna go, go big. We went to 16' box vans over a decade ago and it's the best decision we ever made.

Might as well carry all your tools and plenty of stock with you. Cost is not prohibitive. Parking is really not much of an issue. You get used to it. Once in a while I come across a jobsite that is inaccessible and I have to walk a bit, Very rarely though. Security is excellent too as well as the fact that everything is out of the elements.

DSC01001.jpg

Last edited:

renosteinke

I've seen all manner of work 'trucks,' and some pretty clever ideas. Still, there are a few things that remain constant:

1) You'll need at least a 3/4-ton if you ever plan on towing a scissor lift, bobcat, or other rental equipment;

2) Get the biggest motor they offer;

3) Dual rear wheels seems to be more than an electrician needs, only adding to the maintenance and reducing your mileage;

4) 4WD is likewise more than you need;

5) A slightly extended cab and bucket seats facilitate using your cab as an "office;' and,

6) Keep it low to the ground- both because of overhead clearance issues and ease of unloading ladders from the top.

As for brands ...

In general, I'd look to Consumer Reports, concentrating on the reliability ratings. Not every year, of even the best, is always good.

If you're interested in a specially-built work vehicle, I'd drive around and see what the 'big guys' are using - the phone company, the power company, etc. Match the trucks up to what looks closest to the work you do.

I'd keep the paint color a simple white. White looks professional, displays your signage well, and is a plus at resale time.

Finally, I'd be EXTREMELY wary of used utility-body vehicles. These vehicles have usually been run to the very end of their useful life.

dhalleron

Good info everyone.

No plans to buy right now, but I'll keep this in mind.

I worked out of a large step van maybe 16 feet or so years ago as a helper. It had room for everything, but I think it is too big for my needs right now.

I do understand about getting something that can handle the payload. I could have a lot of stuff piled into a truck and break a spring or shock or axle.

I sort of like the truck in my photo #1, but have not tried to work out of one yet.

All of the work I do can be done out of one the smaller vans you see most electiricans using like in my photo #2. I just want something different and hopefully better.

renosteinke's check list is a very good start.

kwired

Electron manager
If you're gonna go, go big. We went to 16' box vans over a decade ago and it's the best decision we ever made.

Might as well carry all your tools and plenty of stock with you. Cost is not prohibitive. Parking is really not much of an issue. You get used to it. Once in a while I come across a jobsite that is inaccessible and I have to walk a bit, Very rarely though. Security is excellent too as well as the fact that everything is out of the elements.

DSC01001.jpg
How do you keep your stock from looking like it is 100 years old from all the rattling around it is subject to while traveling down the road? I try to carry some common items for the times when you forget something or the occasional service call that needs some common items but otherwise I only try to bring things with me I know I am going to need or at least may need. The stock I do carry on the truck all looks like hell because it does not get used fast enough and most of it only gets used because I need it and did not bring a new looking one along that day. Even things like wall plates that are left in the plastic packaging can sometimes show some road wear.

And where I live and do a lot of my work involves traveling a lot of gravel roads. Everything in the back of an enclosed truck or trailer gets covered with dust in no time. I also have little use for a vehicle that is not 4 wheel drive, about 1/3 to 1/2 of the jobs I do need to use the 4 wheel drive at some time either on the site or at this time of year on the way to the site.

If you are going to have a heavy payload or pull heavy trailer often get a truck with a diesel engine. The one I am using now is a diesel and I don't know I will ever go back to a gasoline engine (on the primary workhorse anyhow).

I have an enclosed trailer I used to pull with an older F250 with 5.7L V8. That thing acted like it was pulling 100,000 pounds even when lightly loaded. I now have a newer RAM2500 with Cummins diesel and just about forget that the trailer is even there, there is little difference in the handling of the truck with the trailer attached.

Now if I am pulling a big trencher I can tell I have a load there but there seems to still be plenty of horsepower to pull it.

The diesel is not as hungry for fuel. Uses a little more with heavy loads but not too significantly more. The 5.7 gasoline truck seemed to want to stop at every filling station it saw, like a junkie looking for its next fix, especially if pulling heavy load.

220/221

How do you keep your stock from looking like it is 100 years old from all the rattling around it is subject to while traveling down the road?

The only thing that presents a problem is devices. I have to keep them in the original packaging.

GUNNING

Ford E250 or E350 wrapped with your sign. Weather Guard ladder wrack conduit tube and interior. Might get the ford up fit package with cage and floor mat or look at some catalogs and custom fit. It needs to look good, haul well, and dont worry about gas, thats overhead and well worth the cost. Put a yellow flashing light on top, it will make people look at it on the road and its like a moving billboard. Or even a 3500 Freightliner. Bigger the better, it impresses the crud out of people.

shepelec

I went a bit over board but I'll never run out of room.

Ford LCF with 16000 GVW and a 14' Utilimaster box with 6 side compartments on either side. I can fit more 3" pvc inside than I would ever care to install, all of my ladders are inside so I am not chipping the ice off of them. The best part is the top of the box is only 9'6" tall so there aren't any worries of low bridges but I can stand up inside. The V6 diesel does fairly well on fuel, of course diesel was the cheapest stuff going when I bought it.:mad:

I hated having to empty out the van when I went to a job and only being able to carry 4 or 5 sticks of 3" inside.

For the size, I actually have a tighter turn radius than a regular van due to the cab over design. I'll never work out a van again!

kwired

Electron manager

Ford LCF with 16000 GVW and a 14' Utilimaster box with 6 side compartments on either side. I can fit more 3" pvc inside than I would ever care to install, all of my ladders are inside so I am not chipping the ice off of them. The best part is the top of the box is only 9'6" tall so there aren't any worries of low bridges but I can stand up inside. The V6 diesel does fairly well on fuel, of course diesel was the cheapest stuff going when I bought it.:mad:

I hated having to empty out the van when I went to a job and only being able to carry 4 or 5 sticks of 3" inside.

For the size, I actually have a tighter turn radius than a regular van due to the cab over design. I'll never work out a van again!

You still probably spend less on fuel with the diesel then you would with a gasoline engine. Don't look at price per gallon look at energy per dollar.

dhalleron

It?s all good information to think about and maybe a good truck for you, but I don't currently plan to and don't want to spend much time running 3" pipe. I plan to stick to mostly resi old work or remodels and additions and light commercial unless I can come up with a niche area that I want to focus on. That niche question is a whole other thread one day.

SmithBuilt

I'm going to disagree on the new diesels.

If you look at all the costs of today's diesel they more expensive to operate. The initial cost, increased maintenance costs, repairs, the diesel exhaust fluid (urea), not to mention the higher cost per gallon.

IMO the EPA has ruined diesels.

And I love diesels.

shepelec

I'm going to disagree on the new diesels.

If you look at all the costs of today's diesel they more expensive to operate. The initial cost, increased maintenance costs, repairs, the diesel exhaust fluid (urea), not to mention the higher cost per gallon.

IMO the EPA has ruined diesels.

And I love diesels.

I agree.

Since the reformulated diesel I have noticed a difference. The engine sounds louder, smells worse and seems to have less power but a good fuel additive stopped that.

My truck is an 06' so I don't have the urea issue but diesel costing more than super unleaded stings a bit.( can't imagine buying cow urine:roll: what a racket)

My first new truck was an E250, I had a very fancy lettering job done on it with graphics and all. It looked great and I had a lot of compliments on it. I did mainly resi work at the time. As time went on I expanded into commercial/ industrial with better money and working conditions and quickly ran out of room. I firmly believe you can never have too much room, especially with all of the crap we need to have.

You don't know where you'll be 5 yrs down the road.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
'96 dodge diesel 3/4 ton

'01 dodge gasburner 3/4 ton

diesel gets about 2 1/2 better mpg--never done the math but doubt that its cheaper

Ford 350 with a 16' cube body may only get 8 mpg, its cheaper because saves trips to supply house or shop

larger truck also gives more room to stock impulse sales items, many times a customer will buy if I have it with me.

also great as a rolling billboard

and I have to admit I look cool driving it

Status
Not open for further replies.