Class II Division 1 Group E translation to IEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlawekMiga

Hi everyone. I'm new to this whole intrinsically safe business. I'm an electrical engineering student working for a company renewing their IS ratings with IECEx, ATEX, and ultimately ANZEx (Australia/ New Zealand) ratings.

My question is: What does Class II Div. 1 Group E translate to in international ratings?

Group E specifically states metallic dusts. Zone 20 doesn't specify what type of dust. Is there just no classification of Class II dusts for international ratings?

Thanks much!
Slawek

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Hi everyone. I'm new to this whole intrinsically safe business. I'm an electrical engineering student working for a company renewing their IS ratings with IECEx, ATEX, and ultimately ANZEx (Australia/ New Zealand) ratings.

My question is: What does Class II Div. 1 Group E translate to in international ratings?

Group E specifically states metallic dusts. Zone 20 doesn't specify what type of dust. Is there just no classification of Class II dusts for international ratings?

Thanks much!
Slawek
If you are attempting to use the Zone system for dusts in a US domestic installation or the NEC as the basis for a foreign installation ??IECEx, ATEX, and ultimately ANZEx?? is meaningless. That said, you are correct that there is nothing that corresponds to ?Groups? in the IEC for dusts. You will need to consult with ANSI/ISA-61241-10 (12.10.05) rather than the NEC for a complete comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.