Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panelboard height

Panelboard height

I am being asked to install a panelboard outside servicing an outdoor bar for a reasteraunt. They are building a basically a hut that will be open from all sides with no vertical walls to put a panel in. The only place to put the panel would be under the bar in the base cabinets.

My questions are as follows:
    1. I know per 240.24A that the maximum height I can install a overcurrent device is 6'-7" to center of handle. Is there a minimum height it can be installed?

2. I know per 408.37 that I can install a panel outdoors (wet/damp location) as long as I meet 312.2(A) which says use a weatherproof enclosure and the proper conduit fittings. Is there any gotta's I should be aware of?

Any additional input is welcome.

Under the bar?....in the base cabinets?...... read 110.26
    Greg

Electrical Inspector in our Nations Capital

Let me clarify. It would be flush mounted in the base cabinets via a blanked off section of the casework.

Quote Originally Posted by coreyp
    Let me clarify. It would be flush mounted in the base cabinets via a blanked off section of the casework.
    If I understand that would not meet 110.26(E) headroom and what about 110.26(A)(2)...etc...I probably don't get the picture. I am an Inspector and seeing is unbelievable.
    Greg

Electrical Inspector in our Nations Capital

There is not a minimum height and sound like what you plan on doing is not a violation

The commercial kitchen I am installing now has 3 food service lines. Built in these lines are 100 amp panels located 6 inches above the floor in the end of the stainless cabinets. I am not sure if the local AHJ will say anything but its being supplied by the food service company, I am just feeding it. We will see if this fly's..

If they are flush mounted without any obstructions encroaching the working space there should not be a problem

Deli style casework for grocery store equipment does this all the time. The Starbucks you see in grocery stores also have the panel mounted under the counter top. You should be okay as long as you cover your wet/damp location issues.
    It's not rocket surgery!

Quote Originally Posted by paul
    Deli style casework for grocery store equipment does this all the time. The Starbucks you see in grocery stores also have the panel mounted under the counter top. You should be okay as long as you cover your wet/damp location issues.

I am trying to understand this situation but I keep getting an image of a panel under a counter that is say 3' high. If this is correct I would like to know where in the code this is permissible unless that counter sticks out less than 6" from the edge of the panel. Any help here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon
    I am trying to understand this situation but I keep getting an image of a panel under a counter that is say 3' high. If this is correct I would like to know where in the code this is permissible unless that counter sticks out less than 6" from the edge of the panel. Any help here.

The 6" you are referring to is for electrical equipment......not countertops
    110.26(A)(3)