Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Panelboard height

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    9

    Panelboard height

    I am being asked to install a panelboard outside servicing an outdoor bar for a reasteraunt. They are building a basically a hut that will be open from all sides with no vertical walls to put a panel in. The only place to put the panel would be under the bar in the base cabinets.

    My questions are as follows:
    1. I know per 240.24A that the maximum height I can install a overcurrent device is 6'-7" to center of handle. Is there a minimum height it can be installed?

    2. I know per 408.37 that I can install a panel outdoors (wet/damp location) as long as I meet 312.2(A) which says use a weatherproof enclosure and the proper conduit fittings. Is there any gotta's I should be aware of?

    Any additional input is welcome.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Burke, Virginia
    Posts
    2,561
    Under the bar?....in the base cabinets?...... read 110.26
    Greg

    Electrical Inspector in our Nations Capital

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    9
    Let me clarify. It would be flush mounted in the base cabinets via a blanked off section of the casework.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Burke, Virginia
    Posts
    2,561
    Quote Originally Posted by coreyp
    Let me clarify. It would be flush mounted in the base cabinets via a blanked off section of the casework.
    If I understand that would not meet 110.26(E) headroom and what about 110.26(A)(2)...etc...I probably don't get the picture. I am an Inspector and seeing is unbelievable.
    Greg

    Electrical Inspector in our Nations Capital

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    296
    There is not a minimum height and sound like what you plan on doing is not a violation

  6. #6
    The commercial kitchen I am installing now has 3 food service lines. Built in these lines are 100 amp panels located 6 inches above the floor in the end of the stainless cabinets. I am not sure if the local AHJ will say anything but its being supplied by the food service company, I am just feeding it. We will see if this fly's..

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,034
    If they are flush mounted without any obstructions encroaching the working space there should not be a problem

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Snohomish, WA
    Posts
    1,408
    Deli style casework for grocery store equipment does this all the time. The Starbucks you see in grocery stores also have the panel mounted under the counter top. You should be okay as long as you cover your wet/damp location issues.
    It's not rocket surgery!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    26,776
    Quote Originally Posted by paul
    Deli style casework for grocery store equipment does this all the time. The Starbucks you see in grocery stores also have the panel mounted under the counter top. You should be okay as long as you cover your wet/damp location issues.

    I am trying to understand this situation but I keep getting an image of a panel under a counter that is say 3' high. If this is correct I would like to know where in the code this is permissible unless that counter sticks out less than 6" from the edge of the panel. Any help here.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon
    I am trying to understand this situation but I keep getting an image of a panel under a counter that is say 3' high. If this is correct I would like to know where in the code this is permissible unless that counter sticks out less than 6" from the edge of the panel. Any help here.

    The 6" you are referring to is for electrical equipment......not countertops
    110.26(A)(3)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •