Schneider inverter recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillK-AZ

I have at least one of these inverters installed for a customer.

I called in the info and it goes like this:

They assign a case number and send the dealer a kit (UL-05) to be installed in an installed inverter. Helps to already be in their database as an installer. Should take less than an hour, closer to 30 minutes after the first one. The repairer will be paid $300 for the first inverter on a site, $150 for each additional inverter. No mileage allowance for distant units (problem in Arizona with rural installations).

I will post the experience after the replacement parts are installed.

BillK-AZ

Update: Schneider inverter recall

Update: Schneider inverter recall

I received the first of my update kits late last week and performed the update today on my first covered inverter.

Turns out that the inverters are grouped into two groups, each with a specific kit. The kits I received were for the UL-01 group, there is a similar kit for a UL-05 group. One set of very well written instructions covers both kits.

The UL-01 kit has a printed circuit card with a mounting bracket, two small screws, instructions, a ferrite RF filter (used only if there are comm lines), and a small EC label to place on the main label indicating the Engineering Change has been installed.

The simple procedure is to power OFF, remove the mid panel (6 screws), grab the rectangular AC capacitor with pliers, twist it back/forth until the leads break, discard capacitor, start one screw in an empty standoff, replace another screw, disconnect two approximately #10 fine stranded wires from a terminal block, attached them to a terminal block on the new card, attach two similar wires to the terminals where the first wires were removed, position the new assembly over the two screws (keyhole slots to make it easy), tighten the screws, replace the cover, and apply the EC sticker. Takes 10-15 minutes, even explaining it to the customer as it happens. If there are data lines, snap the core over those.

The restart takes 5 minutes, during which one can fill out the paperwork and get a customer signature. Photos are needed.

Hardest part was inserting the new wires with pin terminals into the terminals of the inverter, I needed to squeeze the terminals a little so they went into the terminal hole that is hard to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.