Unlisted "Luminaires"

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

I am finishing up a house right now that is billed as a "Reproduction Cape". The ho just got all of the fixtures and yuck. Besides the fact that they are ugly, they were made in some barn somewhere and are not listed, not labled, and not even compatible with any electrical box that they might be installed on.

There are no fixture bars on some. They have only a small ring from which to hang them on a hook or something.

The chandelier type fixtures have no means for grounding whatsoever and I highly doubt that the chain itself would suffice.

I'm trying to get a list of relevant code articles together, so chime in with any you can think of.

I called the guy that made these things and his response was "I have never had a problem in 30 years of doing this". The ho also told me that the guy that made them guaranteed they would comply with code and pass inspection.

I'll try to figure out how to get the pictures out of my Verizon phone and post them here later.

tonyou812

I wouldnt hang them. no ul no instal. I would just hang keyless, globes, and jelly jars to pass inspection and tell the Ho you cant instal those lights.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I had a similar situation with some old antique fixtures that the HO wanted hung. These were ungrounded with frayed wiring. I left a few wire nuts and said you're on your own.

electricmanscott

Hanging light with no grounding provision.
hanglight.jpg

Wall light with only loop to hang from nail. Does not cover box and back wiring area is not totally enclosed though I don't know if that metters.
stairlight.jpg

"Pie Plate" fixture agian no way to mount other than the hole at the top.
sconce.jpg

Last edited:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I share your disgust, Scott, but I'm having a real hard time finding a section to throw at this. :mad:

Edit: Obviously, the first light (pendant) requires an EGC by 410.18(A), but the supporting thing is throwing me off at the moment...

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
electricmanscott said:
Hanging light with no grounding provision.
hanglight.jpg

Wall light with only loop to hang from nail. Does not cover box and back wiring area is not totally enclosed though I don't know if that metters.
stairlight.jpg

"Pie Plate" fixture agian no way to mount other than the hole at the top.
sconce.jpg
Well, UL aside, you could always add a chain and bare stranded wire to the first fixture, and install clock receptacles and plugs for the other two.

danickstr

I was under the impression that if the socket base is UL listed the light will pass. Many luminaires are not grounded as evidenced by the two-prong plug, but in these cases if there was a spot to sink a ground screw, I would try to do it.

If I talked to the artisan again, I would inform him that codes change after 30 years, maybe even more than once.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The 2008 code has a rule that requires all light fixtures to be listed products. This is a new rule as previous codes do not require that all fixtures be listed.
410.6 Listing Required. All luminaires, lampholders, and lighting assemblies shall be listed. [ROP 18-40a]

electricmanscott

I tried to use some of the fixtures today and that was a bust. I decided to check the wiring and found no attention paid to proper wiring. On one fixture with two lampholders each was wired differently. Ribbed wire to hot on one and ribbed wire to neutral on other. It is now in the homeowners hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.