gas line grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Cavie said:
The reason for the manufacturer install instructions is that they were having issues with lightning strikes punching holes in the pipe looking for a place to go. Bonding stops this problem.

So why don't we insist that the mfgr fix the problem they created with inferior engineering? We all know that Gastite etal must be bonded but I guarantee you there are a lot more unbonded installs than bonded ones and if I were Mr. Gastite, I wouldn't be sleeping too well these days. Yet they are using this stuff more than ever......FWIW, I think it looks like heck on the outside of the house, unprotected of course. Which brings me to another issue. How can this vinyl coated, paper thin, stainless steel tubing be left exposed without physical protection? There, I feel much better now
icon7.gif

bobbyho

The State of Ct now requires it. Only for "trac" pipe or stainless flexible gas pipe. They just started enforcing it a couple of months ago. Bond wire to go back to the EGC. Plumbers are allowed to run the bond wire but have to have an electrician terminate it. I guess its better to find out about it this way than get a call about it later. I've been telling all my electrician buddies about this change. This is straight from the State Electrical Inspectors mouth.

stickboy1375

bobbyho said:
The State of Ct now requires it. Only for "trac" pipe or stainless flexible gas pipe. They just started enforcing it a couple of months ago. Bond wire to go back to the EGC. Plumbers are allowed to run the bond wire but have to have an electrician terminate it. I guess its better to find out about it this way than get a call about it later. I've been telling all my electrician buddies about this change. This is straight from the State Electrical Inspectors mouth.

Sorry, but I need it in writing... Bob Nuzzi also only wanted 3 wires pulled to an outbuilding, but with no amendment...

Last edited:

bobbyho

Stickboy, actually the inspector in my town who called me up to let me know that this is now a requirement, showed me the stuff in writing. Although I didn't take a copy, I just filed that under One More Thing To Remember. Nuzzi did also site the same thing when I talked to him on the phone.

stickboy1375

bobbyho said:
Stickboy, actually the inspector in my town who called me up to let me know that this is now a requirement, showed me the stuff in writing. Although I didn't take a copy, I just filed that under One More Thing To Remember. Nuzzi did also site the same thing when I talked to him on the phone.

I'll try looking it up at http://www.ct.gov/ but they really need to update their amendments....

bobbyho

I told Nuzzi the same thing. You think something like giving them your email address so when something comes down the line they could just hit send and the guys that "care" to know this stuff would get the info needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.