Selling Condo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am selling my condo in Carol Stream Illinois and the electrical is not up to date at all. I mean I have installed all necessary GFCI's and AFCI's but all the wires in the house are of different color Ex. I have a balcony outlet and the hot wire to that receptacle is yellow and the neutral going to that receptacle is also yellow. would I get hit by inspectors by that?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Why? Take a look at 210.5(C). Essentially, ungrounded colors only matter when multiple systems are present in a raceway or enclosure. Are there two systems supplying your condo? (Edit: I didn't notice you said the neutral was also yellow. Yeah, that's no good. :D)

Aside from that, home inspectors (the likely ones to inspect the home you live in) have no authority to require corrections, they are mainly to point out deficiencies with no teeth to force corrections.

By the way, welcome to the forum. :)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
George,
I didn't notice you said the neutral was also yellow. Yeah, that's no good.
Probably just old wire and turned yellow with age:grin:...at least that is what I would tell the inspector.

active1

I was first thinking the color faded. Some jobs done poorly I have seen blue with yellow neutrals. I guessing it's a foreign labor not knowing the rules.

Putting in arkfaults is a bit much for just selling a condo IMO.

Does it meet code standards when it was built or last remodeled?

Just cover the basics like having GFI's, box covers, trim plates, no problems in the panel, and correct wiering on outlets. That is all the home inspectors will look for.

I like to have everything fine when I sell but I believe the home inspector report has become a tool to get the buyers credit. Does not matter so much how good things are they will still try and say something is wrong. Many times the home inspectors are incorect.

Let the inspectors find your other problems and fix it then. A yellow neutral is incorect and a sign of a poor job done. It is not a make or break deal on real estate.

Status
Not open for further replies.