Quick question about main feeder wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

russ

I'm not for allowing the existing installation to stay, without the forth wire for a separate ground. Not sure what I would cite other than it was ok until you had to work on it.
The code seems to allow some installations like this one, (range and dryer feeds plus separate structures).
I don't see anything about existing panel feeders, specifically for or against it?
What would you use to cite this existing cable, if it was reconnected?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A new cable is needed for the additional ampacity anyway, isn't it? How could the existing cable be re-used?

Is this question about having to removing the abandoned existing cable, or how to run the new one?

Can't the new meter/disco be relocated back-to-back with the existing panel, eliminating the need to use SER?

jason

LarryFine said:
A new cable is needed for the additional ampacity anyway, isn't it? How could the existing cable be re-used?

Is this question about having to removing the abandoned existing cable, or how to run the new one?

Can't the new meter/disco be relocated back-to-back with the existing panel, eliminating the need to use SER?

The existing cable was 2/0 seu. I was installing 2 150 disc's for the 2 sets of 2/0 that were run to the panels (1 set each of course). Thats all I was doing, installing a disc (2 actually).

The job is done and as I'm typing I may be thinking of 2 different jobs but the same applies. I'll need to chk the 1st post again.

Anyway, I installed the discs and ran ser. I had to fish through chases and do a little cutting on some sheet rock but in all it wasnt too bad. Turned a 1 day job into 2 days but its right and that makes everyone feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.